Shower door magentic strip

Post your technical questions or solutions about your boat's interior here. Are you beginning to see a pattern?

Moderator: KenKrawford

cuthbert

Shower door magentic strip

Post by cuthbert »

Greetings all,

Just noticed this year that the shower door has lost its magnetic grip. Has anyone tackled this task, if so I have a couple of questions.
1) I normally have the door clipped back with a strap and pop faster so the two magnets are not in contact, can I re-magnetize by some combination of leaving the door closed (both strips in contact) or is there some means of remagnetizing the strips by using a strong magnet.
2) If I remove the strips and replace any recommendations on what to buy and what glue to use?
nybor

Re: Shower door magentic strip

Post by nybor »

Yep, I am dealing with the same issue. My latest attempt is to epoxy some very very small ceramic magnets to the door and frame. I tried just one and it held the door closed perfectly. These are tiny and I am thinking of putting 3 of them lengthwise along the opening. I don't have them here to measure, but they are approximately 5 to 6 mm (maybe 0.2 inches) diameter. Incredibly strong (underline incredibly). Will let you know how this works. The only thing is if the epoxy is not strong enough to hold the magnets in place. However, if that is a problem, I am going to coat both door and frame magnets with a clear coat paint - both for protection and to widen the gap between them when closed.

got them at Harbor Freight.
https://www.harborfreight.com/10-piece- ... =go_social

dave

Nybor #411
stevewitt1

Re: Shower door magentic strip

Post by stevewitt1 »

I’ll try those magnets. Presently I put a clamp holding the door to the frame. The problem is it only pinches it together at the very top.
Another thing I did was cut a strip of poly board that fits in the top channel of the door of both halves. I put a notch in the center to allow it to fit over the hinge. It prevents the door from folding along the center hinge while taking a shower and makes it easier for my clamp to keep it shut against the door stop.

Steve
Oconto Yacht Club on The Green Bay
Of Lake Michigan
www.ocontoyachtclub.com