Water Dripping From Bottom of Rudder - hairline crack

Post your technical questions or solutions about your boat's hull, prop or rudder here.

Moderator: KenKrawford

tranquil

Water Dripping From Bottom of Rudder - hairline crack

Post by tranquil »

Greetings

Been on the hard 2 years - did not launch last year due to COVID issues. Delayed start this season with unseasonably extra hot weather for the area. So hot that while painting the bottom I felt badly and just laid down on my paint tarp on the ground - just to port of the rudder. When I looked up at the flat bottom of the rudder (never looked here before) I saw 2 hairline cracks; the largest is 4" and very slowly dripping tiny drips of H20. There had not been rain that day nor the day before, nor had I used H20 that day, so shocked to see the drip. I wiped the area dry just to be sure - ugh. Very slow and small but definite drip.

I've not hit anything in the past; not sure if something happened in the yard, regardless, I have a week to launch or start paying daily fines, so cant drop the rudder right now nor drill into it to see what is going on, dry it out and repair. I've not yet been able to get a good look, but the only thing I can think of is that the collar at the top of the rudder must have a broken seal and that is where the H20 is entering-would that be correct or are there other potential culprits? What are the risks of sealing the collar ring (what would I use?) and sealing the bottom of the rudder with a quick gelcoat repair kit so that it does not take in more H20. And then repair over the winter when she is back on the hard.....

3 years ago discovered Tranquil had been hit and run - a small chunk of gelcoat was missing from the underside of the transom at the H20line, which I discovered when swimming off the back of the boat. With a new powerboat owner next to me on that side of the boat and another across my stern, I assumed a stern platform from a power boat backed into/hit my transom and caused the damage. When I was lifted in the fall I did a gelcoat repair after drying it out so it would not take in H20. Would it be possible they also hit the rudder or the platform went between the transom and the top of the rudder, causing the seal at the neck to fail?

All thoughts, ideas, risks, etc. welcome.
Teri Weber
Tranquil
Hull #187
Chicago
Tranquilcat42@yahoo.com
KenKrawford

Re: Water Dripping From Bottom of Rudder - hairline crack

Post by KenKrawford »

Terri, if the water ingress is happening at the top of the rudder then it's going to be difficult/impossible to re-seal that area without dropping the rudder. Assuming that's where the water is entering then sealing the gelcoat crack on the bottom will not have much effect other than trapping the water in the rudder. With the relatively short sailing season you have, I'd be inclined to leave everything as is and pursue a diagnosis when you're hauled in the fall.
Ken Krawford
Message Board Moderator
C350 # 351
Lake Lanier, GA
tranquil

Post by tranquil »

Ken

Thank you for your insight! At least I can launch in peace and deal with it in the fall.

Have not done this before - my 30' Catalina was fin keel and sat higher up in the cradle, so the rudder could be dropped while in the cradle. Given the 350 wing keel is so close to the ground I would guess the rudder would need to be dropped while in the sling at lift and put back in at launch while in the sling...- is that correct? Seems risky on the launch side.....Any guidance - has anyone done this/had experience with it?

Thanks
Teri Weber
Tranquil
Hull #187
Chicago
Tranquilcat42@yahoo.com
leigh weiss

Post by leigh weiss »

I have dropper my rudder while on the hard by digging a hole under the rudder and dropping it into the hole. About +/- one foot deep.
This provided enough room to remove the rudder completely.
Lots of luck. P.S. boat was on gravel... The yard had no problem with the hole if I filled it in.
Leigh and Donna Weiss
Brisa #155
Georgetown, MD. USA
tranquil

Post by tranquil »

Thanks very much!
Teri Weber
Tranquil
Hull #187
Chicago
Tranquilcat42@yahoo.com
D&M

Post by D&M »

The plastic collar ring on my C350 is a shim which does not have any sealing properties for the rudder. My rudder is currently off in the yard and there is simply glass or fairing up to the point where the stock enters the rudder. If it leaks there it would be very apparent if you view it. You can drop the rudder about 1" by lifting slightly, removing the bolt and then lowering it on to a support (so that it does not put too much weight on the radial arm). Do this and put an iphone with a camera up close to look at the entry point of the rudder stock into the rudder. The iphone app Mag Lite is great for that.
I will be posting a discussion shortly; mainly aimed at Aust owners as it explains how I replaced my rudder bearings with items milled locally by an engineering firm from a Delrin rod. Note you cannot get bearings from CD at the moment, so hard to get in Aust.

You say you have been on the hard for two years and it is still dripping? I would be looking elsewhere.
Regards,

David
Sea Lanes #281
Cairns, Australi
a
tranquil

Post by tranquil »

Thank you very much David! I picked up your message just in time-

It rained the night before she was launched and I arrived in time to take a quick check - sure enough leaking again out the bottom. Yes, top of rudder/collar area had H20 marks and H20 drips down both sides of the rudder. I could not get close enough to the collar to take decent pics even with my iphone light on and flash. Do I understand correctly that the source of the water could be in the cockpit in the general area that the emergency tiller attaches-is that where the bearings are? And/or outside the boat where the rudder collar attaches to the rudder (which is what I was thinking)?

I eagerly await your write up and have this on the top of my list for the fall lift out.
Thanks
Teri
Attachments
Rudder Collar aft
Rudder Collar aft
Rudder Collar aft.jpg (23.08 KiB) Viewed 1725 times
Rudder Bottom
Rudder Bottom
Rudder Bottom.jpg (50.35 KiB) Viewed 1725 times
Teri Weber
Tranquil
Hull #187