Traveler and Genoa Furling Line

Post your technical questions or solutions about your boat's sails and rigging and here.

Moderator: KenKrawford

GRWhite

Traveler and Genoa Furling Line

Post by GRWhite »

My genoa furling line (3/8" thickness) is now very tight and does not move freely through the outermost sheave on the line organizer under the traveler. It actually stuck once trying to furl in the genoa and now is just very tight. I spoke to Garhauer about this problem and they did not have a solution.
I have confirmed that the furler is not the problem. I have held the line on both sides of the sheave, pulling it in both directions confirming that the lack of space between the sheave and outermost side of the traveler is the cause of the problem. I have removed the line and the sheave spins freely and appears to be in good working order. I have also tried a new 3/8" line which is tight as well and does not move freely.
I have a few questions for the group:
- this line and rigging has always been the same, any idea why this is suddenly too tight?
- has anyone else encountered this issue and what was the solution besides switching to a smaller diameter line. I would like to avoid going to a smaller line since 3/8" is pretty small when furling the genoa by hand.
- has anyone replaced the sheaves in the traveler? Garhauer technically refers to this row of sheaves as the line organizer.
Garhauer did tell me that if I grind down the side support to paint the bare aluminum. They said the matching color is Rust Oleum's "Anodized Bronze" in case anyone needs to touch it up.
Attached is a picture.
Thanks in advance for any suggestions here.
Attachments
B7D969EC-4D1E-47B4-A49B-DF6C0B107463_1_105_c.jpeg
B7D969EC-4D1E-47B4-A49B-DF6C0B107463_1_105_c.jpeg (212.94 KiB) Viewed 2079 times
Kevin White
Gypsy Rose, #450
Sagamore Beach, MA
KenKrawford

Re: Traveler and Genoa Furling Line

Post by KenKrawford »

Kevin. my solution your your problem may not be what you're looking for but here's what I did. I always thought where the furling line crossed the deck en route to the coach roof was a trip hazard. I routed mine along the base of the life lines aft toward the cockpit. I'll try to remember to take a picture next time I'm on the boat so you can get a better idea of how it is arranged.
Ken Krawford
Message Board Moderator
C350 # 351
Lake Lanier, GA
GRWhite

Post by GRWhite »

Ken - I didn't realize how often I step on the furling line on the coach roof until you pointed it out. When I called Catalina Direct and spoke to its technical guy about replacing the sheave he was surprised to hear that the line went through the deck organizer. I know this was factory installed but I'm interested to see your re-route pictures. In particular, how you bring the line back into the cockpit and secure it. Also, what you used to fill the holes in the coach roof and match the color when removing the original deck hardware for the line.
Thank you
Kevin
Kevin White
Gypsy Rose, #450
Sagamore Beach, MA
KenKrawford

Post by KenKrawford »

Kevin, I just left the 2 bullseyes attached to the coach roof. I've never had a problem with them in the past 15 yrs. The stanchion block are from Garhauer. I positioned them on the outboard side of the stanchions to avoid scratched ankles. The furling line would probably lead a bit more fairly if positioned inboard. The cleat is through bolted but I did not use a backing plate.
Attachments
IMG_2480.jpg
IMG_2480.jpg (240.06 KiB) Viewed 2041 times
IMG_2479.jpg
IMG_2479.jpg (208.04 KiB) Viewed 2041 times
Ken Krawford
Message Board Moderator
C350 # 351
Lake Lanier, GA
russp

Post by russp »

Ditto, exactly same set up as Ken, have thought about removing bullseyes and replacing with purpose made SS polished plates, but haven't tripped on them in the 6 or 7 years since made the change so have never got around to it!
Russ Peel
Avalon #150
GRWhite

Post by GRWhite »

Ken - thank you for those pictures, I may give that a try. Final question, do you have any problems with the furling line crossing the genoa sheet when the genoa is reefed (both lines under tension)?
Kevin White
Gypsy Rose, #450
Sagamore Beach, MA
KenKrawford

Post by KenKrawford »

I've had no problems with that arrangement. When the genoa is furled, I lead the furling under the sheet and it works fine. You may have to experiment with the vertical position of the last turning block on the stanchion and the cleat to get a fair lead under those circumstances.
Ken Krawford
Message Board Moderator
C350 # 351
Lake Lanier, GA
Triumph

Post by Triumph »

My furling line runs up over the deck as original then runs trough the traveler blocks to a line clutch or brake near the winch on the cabin top.

I feel it is important that you consider the ability to run your furling line to a free winch. I also feel it is important that you have the ability to take the pressure off the furling line when the sail is reefed so that it can be moved off the cleat to a winch. This would mean that you have a line clutch or cam cleat on the line prior to the cleat. I lieu of the cam cleat or clutch, you should at the very least have a plan for and know how to tie a rolling hitch to the furling line efficiently.

Here is the very real scenario. You are on port tack with you starboard winch loaded up with the jib sheet. You have the jib furled in about 4 feet and tied to the cleat. Now the wind picks up and your rail is in the water. You need to put the jib away now, as the wind is building. It's blowing 28 knots gusting 36.

Under the current pressure on the furling line, if you are even able to uncleat it, the jib will run all the way out. In this much wind, this is a very violent event that could damage the boat or the sail.

You will not be able to hold the furling line just like you couldn't hold the jib sheet either. If you doubt me, some day take your jib sheet directly to a cleat in 15 knots of wind and uncleat it with out letting any of the sheet run out. Now double this much pressure. Yea, no way.

If you have a stopper on the furling line you can engage the stopper (rolling hitch, clam or clutch) then with no pressure on the cleated line you can move it to a winch and begin to grind it in.

Bill Cullen, TRIUMPH
www.thebookofsail.com
Hans v. d. Weijden

Post by Hans v. d. Weijden »

Kevin,

When the wind pics up it will be very difficult or even impossible to pull in your furling line without using the winch. You have a 50% change the starboard winch is already in use as described by Bill.
On my boat this problem is solved with an extra winch and line clutch. See the picture I attached. I am away from the boat the coming weeks, so I can't get a better picture at the moment. So I hope this picture is clear enough to show how the furling line is running.

Hans v. d. Weijden
The Netherlands, Ermelo
Hull 254, Swan
hans.van.der.weijden@hetnet.nl
Attachments
Extra winch for genua.png
Extra winch for genua.png (140.76 KiB) Viewed 1987 times
sgoldman

Post by sgoldman »

I am looking to put a line break on the jib furling line like the one pictured on "Swan". What I'm struggling with is how to access under the deck to secure the through-bolts for the Spinlock clutch. The line on Peenhonin is on the port side which is not easily accessed. There is a a narrow panel that can be opened to give access to that area. However there are a number of cables running through there and I am not sure how to safely drill through there.

Has anyone added a furling line block on at 2008 port routed furling line. If so how did you calculate where to drill through?

Steve Goldman
2008 C350 Hull 485
Peenhonin
Waukegan, Il.
Steve Goldman
"Peen honin"
Catalina C350 Hull 485
Waukegan, IL.