EmTrak B923 AIS

Post your technical questions or solutions about your boat's electrical systems or electronics here.

Moderator: KenKrawford

Bob_A

EmTrak B923 AIS

Post by Bob_A »

Just wanted to share some feedback on using and installing the EmTrak AIS.
I chose the B923 Transponder. Easy install. There is some PC set up at home but very intuitive and straight forward.
In Canada we must program the unit with our MMSI # where in the US I understand a dealer must do this.
Previously in this area of the forum there is discussion on the antenna(s) particularly the EmTrak advice to install the unit 1m away from the
VHF. I'm thinking this is more a EmTrak CYA than reality. I had one of the top techs from PYS on the boat to do some final integration of all the new Garmen toys I added. Having installed several dozens of these AIS units he assured me he never had an issue with this 1m distance. Good point he made, "If they wanted 1m why did they supply a 1m cable" not possible to get that clearance with a 1m cable given that half of that would be needed to get the electronics equipment panel off/on and work behind.
For context I installed new RG 8X cable from the top of the mast to a splitter in the head, to the AIS and from the AIS to the VHF as these units are a splitter. Plus a new Shakespeare 5215 AIS / VHF antenna. No discernible radio transmission change and I tested it off and on the splitter a few times. I personally like the Shakespeare PL-259-8X-G connectors and stay clear of the fully soldered type or the PL-259-CP-G that requires no solder. The first is a difficult solder job and the latter is an iffy connection (in my opinion)
I installed the EmTrak unit in the aft cabin closet along with the Garmen G10 and some of the NMEA 2000 backbone. The rest of the backbone is installed to the under side of the deck under the helm and under the aft cabin helm base cover. Consequently the AIS is not 1m from the VHF.
I did however, at the techs adamant advise, install an EmTrak external AIS antenna. As per pic below you can see it did not need to be rail mounted and is just under the deck on the top of the aft cabinet cupboard. Seeing as this is another 120.00 on top of all the rest, I wanted to see just what a difference it made, if any. I connected it to my laptop and in the EmTrak download you can turn on the devise and see the reception via a live bar chart and which Satellite etc. I was told to expect a difference watching the readings with and without. 20 - 30%. I was very please to see it was an instant increase of 85 -95%. Because of the external AIS antenna I can easily get away with having the B923 unit in the closet. Without the antenna the reception dropped being in the closet vs on top of the closet and just under the deck.
The unit works great and the targets are easy to see and get info on. Nice feeling when your in the busy Vancouver Harbour area.
Attachments
Em Trak external antenna.jpeg
Em Trak external antenna.jpeg (26.22 KiB) Viewed 800 times
Bob & Cherie
Cheeky Monkey - Hull 363
Vancouver, BC
Captain Kirk

Re: EmTrak B923 AIS

Post by Captain Kirk »

Hi Bob
Nice installation! I bought the 924, which as I recall gives WiFi and blue tooth connectivity. I mounted it on top of the hanging locker in the aft cabin, it was a space we didn't use, but our hanging locker is full. Not sure why its full, got to ask my wife for that answer.

I didn't add an external GPS antenna but I do get a strong GPS signal in that location, usually around 90%. The existing VHF antenna with existing Coax connects to the EmTrak and via the internal splitter, is connected to my rather old Standard Horizon VHF. I too decided not to respect the 1m distance from the VHF, and as was pointed out to you the 1m supplied Coax wouldn't be long enough anyway. The VHF also works normally with this setup.

I haven't used it much yet but in our berth on Thetis Island, I can see targets up to 30Nm away. Interface to the Axiom 9 MFD was simple since I extended the backbone into the nav station area.
I'll be taking the boat down to Canoe Cove next week for annual haul-out and service. Also Blackline riggers will mount the new RM wind instrument and hopefully get the wires down the mast successfully. Looking forward to using the new technology.

Agree those guys at PYS are great. They did the new lifelines on our C320, I brought the old ones to them, they duplicated them with all new Pelican hooks etc and it all fit perfectly when I got them back to the boat.
Kirk & Leah McCullough
#031 -Full Batten Main, Rocna 20
Sand Dollar
Point Roberts, WA