Raymarine Axiom+ MicroSD access

Post your technical questions or solutions about your boat's electrical systems or electronics here.

Moderator: KenKrawford

sgoldman

Raymarine Axiom+ MicroSD access

Post by sgoldman »

Has anyone installed an Axiom+ in the Navpod as a replacement for the C80?

My question is how you access the MicroSD drive to update the Lighthouse software of for the Navionics charts?

It looks like the MicroSD slot is in the back of the unit which would be inaccessible without opening the Navpod.

Anyone have experience with this?

Steve Goldman
Peenhonin
2008 C-350 Hull 485
Waukegan
Steve Goldman
"Peen honin"
Catalina C350 Hull 485
Waukegan, IL.
TEM58

Re: Raymarine Axiom+ MicroSD access

Post by TEM58 »

I recently installed an Axiom9 to replace the E80 Classic. It’s a huge pain to update the sd card. Given that there’s no usb connection, therefore no way to plug in an external card reader, I don’t know how else to update without opening the navpod. Seems it greatly increases the chance of damage or leaks. Although the lighthouse OS updates over WiFi, an option to update charts over the internal wifi seems like it would be useful. But if there’s a way to do that I haven’t figured it out yet.
Tim Meredith
Perfect Match II
2003 #35
Belton, TX
Boat currently Punta Gorda, FL
TEM58

Post by TEM58 »

I misspoke. After delving into this, I found a solution.

https://www.amazon.com/Raymarine-Card-R ... B0756WPG42
Tim Meredith
Perfect Match II
2003 #35
Belton, TX
Captain Kirk

Post by Captain Kirk »

Hi Tim and Steve

I installed one of those remote mSD carder readers.

It makes LH software updates easier. I download them to a mSD at home on the PC then use the card reader to install the software at the boat. I can update Navionic charts from the Navionic app on my iPhone.
But for updating the annual Navionic subscriptions - I have only done it once by opening the NavPod and taking the Navionics SD card out of the Axiom 9 and then home to download the new subscription by PC, take it back to the boat and reinsert it and button up the NavPod. It works but its a pain.
I don't know how to do subscription renewals by Wi-Fi, if in fact it can be done. But that would solve the problem.

The remote card reader is also used to store my user files, since RM does not recommend using the plotter card for this. I installed the remote reader on the forward side of the binnacle. It also has a USB plug which I use as a charging point for phones etc. I believe a USB stick can also be used as extra memory.
Attachments
IMG_1474 (2).jpg
IMG_1474 (2).jpg (89.46 KiB) Viewed 1651 times
Kirk & Leah McCullough
#031 -Full Batten Main, Rocna 20
Sand Dollar
Point Roberts, WA
jbd3

Post by jbd3 »

I have one of these also. Even updating over wifi requires a blank card in the slot to create temporary space so it is very useful.
TEM58

Post by TEM58 »

Thanks Kirk. After my first response, I recalled seeing the reader included on your wiring diagram. That’s what prompted me to do some more in-depth checks. I’ve also only done the navionics chart update once, but I hate having to open the navpod. I did do a LH update via WiFi a couple of weeks ago with no issues. Think I’ll add the remote reader to my list.

Jbd3,
Are you talking about doing a lighthouse update over WiFi, or the charts?
Tim Meredith
Perfect Match II
2003 #35
Belton, TX
Captain Kirk

Post by Captain Kirk »

Tim

I have done the chart updates by syncing my Navionics app on my phone with the MFD Navionics. This is done by Wi-Fi between the phone and the Axiom. First I update the charts on the phone by WiFi or cell data and then sync with the plotter and all the charts get updated.

I have only done a LH update by downloading the update to a mSD card at home then putting the card into the remote reader, and doing the software update through the Axiom display. When you do the update just select the remote reader for the file location when it asks for the files.

I have the latest 3.13 update on a mSD card and I'm doing it this weekend when I go to the boat.

The only problem I had installing the card reader was trying to feed the cable into the binnacle tube, it was already mostly full. Also, the cable has a rather large connector so wouldn't fit and I didn't want cut the wire to feed it up the tube. So I ran it up the outside of the tube and into the back of the NavPod. You might be able to see that in the picture.
Kirk & Leah McCullough
#031 -Full Batten Main, Rocna 20
Sand Dollar
Point Roberts, WA