Buying a C350 in Covid year 2020

The sailor's version of gathering around the water cooler. Talk about anything your heart desires on this forum.

Moderator: KenKrawford

Bob_A

Buying a C350 in Covid year 2020

Post by Bob_A »

Hello - I wish to thank all of you who have posted, it has been very helpful. I confess that Sept last year we did not even know of a C350.
Not sure what it was like in the US but here in Vancouver BC area boat sales went ballistic! Due to the border shut down and no access to US inventory for physical viewing, the inventory here was very low and demand was on fire. Every listing I pursued in the say 100 - 130K area was sold weeks before or under contract. We had no choice (as waiting was not an option .. If not now then when? I like to say) but to raise our budget many times until the sweet spot slowed down. Our hull 363 had several parties circling but in the end she was ours. Moorage here was a contractual condition and looked like it might have broken the deal as it is all but gone. I feel like we won a lottery to get anything and we are happy where we ended up. Tip - I learned showing up at the marina (3 times .. with flowers and other offers) worked where just calling simply doesn't. The C350 is actually not very common here, Ive yet to see another. Since getting her home from Vancouver Island late November I have pretty much worked on the boat everyday. Lots of upgrade, maintenance and improvement projects. I will pay back and share my experiences with the forum. Fortunately I have several trades and have restored / rebuilt antique Harley Davidsons for many years. An obscene amount of tools and equipment is also very helpful. Having plowed into every system on the boat I am becoming very much at home. I really feel we landed very well with a C350 for our first boat.
Bob & Cherie
Cheeky Monkey - Hull 363
Vancouver, BC
Captain Kirk

Re: Buying a C350 in Covid year 2020

Post by Captain Kirk »

Bob and Cherie

Congrats on your new C350. Welcome to the club!

We've owned Sand Dollar since 2016 and we're her second owners. We previously owned a C320 for 15 years and a Newport 28 before that. As you get out in the cruising grounds you will see a few C350's around but fewer now until all our southern friends in Pr. Roberts, and Blaine etc. are once again able to cross the border.

I have seen Cheaky Monkey around a number of times over the years and have spoken to the previous owners once or twice. I believe your boat is equipped with a fuel cell charging system, is that the case? Maybe I'm thinking of different boat.

We normally keep the boat in Pt Roberts but for now its on Thetis Island. We normally spend 2-3 months cruising between May and Sept. Hope to see you out there!

Cheers
Kirk & Leah McCullough
#031 -Full Batten Main, Rocna 20
Sand Dollar
Point Roberts, WA
Bob_A

Post by Bob_A »

Hello Kirk and Leah,

I believe we are the third owners and had the pleasure of meeting and speaking to the previous owners many times. Lovely people.
Yes there is an Efoy fuel cel generator on this boat. We have yet to use it but I have heard good things.
Hope to see you out there.
Bob & Cherie
Cheeky Monkey - Hull 363
Vancouver, BC
pieterv

Post by pieterv »

Hi 350 owners
This is Pieter from "SV Marianne" a 2003 # 36, Cat350
I used to be in Blaine but was able to move to Reed Point Marina last year in March.
Not much sailing but at least I can go to the boat only a 12 minute drive from my home in PoCo.
I am happy with my 350 I found in New York in December 2007 and a friend trucked it to Blaine for me in March 2008 .
This is my third Catalina after a 27 and 30ft !
Hope to get back to Blaine Marina next year to be able to have better access to the islands.
Hope you all will have a good and safe summer.
Bob_A

Post by Bob_A »

Hello Neighbour!
We are up the way at Lynnwood. I really like Reed Point and have good friends there.
If you haven't already, get to know Tom at Inlet Marine. Now there's a wealth of experience.
Great service and supply company. We tried to get into Reed Point in October and at that point there was a 4 year waiting list.
See you out there.
Bob & Cherie
Cheeky Monkey - Hull 363
Vancouver, BC
Captain Kirk

Post by Captain Kirk »

Hello Pieter

I recall you and Geoff both came over to Pt Roberts to look at the Wabasto hydronic heater installation on Sand Dollar. Glad to hear you got your boat out of Blaine in time for last season.

We're hoping we can get back to Pt. Roberts at some point. Damn Covid gets in the way.

We'll be in and around Desolation Sound and points north this summer, may see you out there.
Kirk & Leah McCullough
#031 -Full Batten Main, Rocna 20
Sand Dollar
Point Roberts, WA
Pgtjs

Re: C350s in the Pacific Northwest

Post by Pgtjs »

Hi Curt, regards to Pieter,

Nice to hear you are fine and thanks again for the opportunity to look at your Webasco Heating System> I followed suit and got to use it last summer. Works exactly as you suggested. Also stuck 160W of Solar on the hard dodger but it is not enough to avoid using the diesel as a charger.

I have been in touch with the new owner of Cheeky Monkey who kindly shared some details.

Perhaps this summer the 4 of us can meet up north, perhaps in Desolation? I am hoping the border is open by mid August so I can spend a couple of months on the boat. Failing up there, someplace like Ladysmith?

I went over to Pt Roberts last fall to take a look for a day "sail"; it looked almost abandoned.

Thanks for your input,

Geoff. S C350 #392, Taeko 1V, Semaihamoo Marina, Blaine WA.
Geoff.S., Semiahmoo, WA.