Pie in Edson pedestal

Have you added something to your boat? Got pictures of a project? Post them here at our catch-all forum for the things we do to make our boats better.

Moderator: KenKrawford

NormSail350

Pie in Edson pedestal

Post by NormSail350 »

Hi everyone,

I am having my shift cable replaced. I am going to have a marina do this, and they are suggesting adding a pie eye access port in the front (bow side) of the pedestal for access. Seems like a good idea. I have not looked inside the pedsetal (at least not with this soecific idea in mind).

Has any one done this? Seems to make sense as long as nothing else is in the way or would be bothered - since my boat is a 2003 and things need to be replaced (i.e., I will also replece my ignition switch soon).

Any thoughts/concerns?

NormSail350
2003 Escape Hull#41
NormSail350
Escape (hull #40)
Palmetto Bay, FL (Miami)
Alessandro

Re: Pie in Edson pedestal

Post by Alessandro »

Hi,
About 2 years ago I cut an approx. 4" access hole in my pedestal to fit an autopilot assembly. It all worked out very well, from memory there was nothing at risk around my cuts. In my case the hole was cut about a foot off the deck on the stern side, i.e. forward of the wheel.
Alex Kennedy aka Alessandro
Catalina 350 Hull 424
Airlie Beach
Tropical Queensland
Australia
NormSail350

Re: Pie in Edson pedestal

Post by NormSail350 »

Alessandro,

Thanks for the reply. I am opeining the pedestal today to look and to explore options and whether its a good idea and will share what happens.

NormSail350
Escape Hull #41
Palmetto Bay FL
NormSail350
Escape (hull #40)
Palmetto Bay, FL (Miami)