No water from thru bull

Post your technical questions or solutions about your boat's head here.

Moderator: KenKrawford

Airnsail

No water from thru bull

Post by Airnsail »

I am a new owner. Previous owner did not use thrill hull for for filing head. They used a cup from the sink. I am trying to use the thru hull. Supposedly, to fill the head you press up on the foot switch (electric head). You press down on the pedal to drain. It appears both directions are draining. No water comes in from the open thru hull. Boat was on the hard here in Florida if that helps.

Thoughts? Mike
Olivia Mae

Re: No water from thru bull

Post by Olivia Mae »

Try disconnecting the water line to the head and priming it with water using another hose and funnel. If that doesn't work, you will probably have to rebuild the pump. If it's one of the old Wilcox Crittenden units, parts are hard to find. I replaced ours with a Raritan Sea Era electric.
Scott and Linda

Olivia Mae
C350 Hull #53
Erie, Pa.
russp

Post by russp »

Hi Mike,

If you have run the pump dry for any length of time you have probably destroyed the impeller by now, but worth trying to fill the suction line with water and see if it still pumps. The motor turns in different direction depending on whether you lift or depress the pedal. The "out" side of the pump works in either direction so solely pumps out when the lever is down, or pumps in and out at same time when the lever is up. The "In" impeller is on a clutch, only grabs in one direction, shaft just spins freely in the other.

A couple of years ago there was still a rebuild kit with seals and impellers available, if I can find the details I willl PM you.

Russ
Russ Peel
Avalon #150
LI_Sound_Cat

Post by LI_Sound_Cat »

I am actually having a similar issue with a new-to-me 350 - the pump that pulls water from the thru hull does not appear to be working. I was considering tapping into the fresh water system anyway for the head (as described in a few Mainsheet articles) - my question is whether this pump would need to work if I were to do this? Thanks in advance -- Dan
Dan
“Glandore”
Olivia Mae

Post by Olivia Mae »

Dan, yes it would. Concerning tapping into the fresh water system, not a great idea due to possibility of contaminating the fresh water from the head. It would make more sense to tap into the drain from the sink. That way, you could flush the head with fresh water from the sink by closing the thru hull for the sink. In practice, that would be a real PITA on a 350, though. Better just use the shower head to fill the bowl for flushing.

There are heads made to use the pressurized water from the tank without risk of contamination. Raritan makes one.
Scott and Linda

Olivia Mae
C350 Hull #53
Erie, Pa.
LI_Sound_Cat

Post by LI_Sound_Cat »

Thanks very much - I think I will use the shower head for now and look at replacing the head if/when there are additional issues down the line.
Dan
“Glandore”
jbd3

Post by jbd3 »

Check your through-hull for external blockage. Our A/C intake wasn't working and I think it was a plastic bag that plugged it from the outside. I used the dinghy air pump to backflow the fitting and it was fine without having to approach it from under water.