Replace Speed Transducer

Post your technical questions or solutions about your boat's electrical systems or electronics here.

Moderator: KenKrawford

Airnsail

Replace Speed Transducer

Post by Airnsail »

I just purchased my 350. Had the boat hauled last spring and had the bottom redone. Got her back in the water yesterday only to find out they put a plug in the slot for the speed transducer. I missed that in my check. Has anyone ever swapped them out while in the water? If so, what is the best way to do this?

Mike
wolfe10

Re: Replace Speed Transducer

Post by wolfe10 »

Mike,

It is done all the time with the boat in the water-- often to free debris from the paddlewheel.

Have it ready, O ring with a little silicone GREASE (not sealant) on it and ready to go.

Shouldn't get much water in.

We have ALL been there, done that.
Brett Wolfe
C350 #180
"Vindaloo"
Ft Myers FL
Mark Sutherland

Post by Mark Sutherland »

I replace my speed transducer with the plug every time I leave the boat so that I always have a clean paddle wheel each time we sail. I recommend having an emergency (mine's wooden) plug standing by, just in case the process doesn't go as smoothly as you'd hoped. The emergency plug will give you a little more piece of mind if you're nervous about the process.
Mark Sutherland,
Dunrobin III
Hull #388 (2006)
Pgtjs

Post by Pgtjs »

Hi there,

I have a screw in plastic/nylon plug that came with the boat when new 14 years ago. I would not be comfortable leaving a wooden plug in place for a longer term. Years ago I had a baby seal under the boat nudging around looking for "Mum" for several hours. Never know if it or some other bouncing wake would disturb the plug enough to cause it to exit. The screw in unit fits the thru hull and appears to be the same brand as the paddle unit - Ratheon I think - and should be available at West Marine/Defender etc. The paddle unit is a nightmare - it has shorter fins than on earlier models (perhaps to stop being crushed on liftouts?) and fouls very quickly (2 or 3 weeks) in the waters around here. So much so that I have given up on it and use the SOG from the Chart Plotter unit.

Cheeers, Geoff - Taeko 1V , C350 #392. Semiahmoo, Blaine, WA.
Geoff.S., Semiahmoo, WA.
ElizabethG

Post by ElizabethG »

I also remove my transducer, when I'm not sailing, with a "blank".

In the coastal waters of SC, they can foul up pretty quickly.

If I'm not mistaken, you will need the transducer installed in order for the wind instrument to calculate apparent wind correctly which is what I trim my sails to.

I primarily use Navionics for chart plotting and measuring SOG. If you subtract Navionics SOG from the speed your transducer is showing, you will get a rough estimate as to the speed of the current going with you, or against you. Very helpful in the ICW.

Bill W.
Atlanta, GA