Reef 1

Post your technical questions or solutions about your boat's sails and rigging and here.

Moderator: KenKrawford

D&M

Reef 1

Post by D&M »

Hi all,
After purchasing and relocating my Catalina #281 "Sea Lanes" in Australia, my mast was removed then re-stepped with new rigging. The riggers at the new location rigged reef 1 as follows:
Tied to rear of boom with bowline then led up the first reef point at the leech.
Then it goes into the boom on the stbd sheave at the rear and comes out the front (of course).
After which it goes up to the first cringle at the luff then to the deck.
So far so good.
Then it goes to a deck sheave and then to the stbd spinlock clutches.

According to the manual it should go to the port side clutches/winch.

So is there a cross over and how is it routed?

All I know is currently the reef is incredibly hard to rig/tighten as it is configured. (Which should be a single line reef, if I am understanding as to what is trying to be achieved with this set up). As it is, I have to go to the mast and help the reef through the boom so I can tighten it with the winch.

Can people help by telling me how they have rigged their no 1 reef if it is a single line reef.

This is a Dutchman flaking sail but has now been reconfigured with lazy jacks if that makes any difference... :?:
Cheers,

David
Regards,

David
Sea Lanes #281
Cairns, Australi
a
NormSail350

Re: Reef 1

Post by NormSail350 »

David,

I have a flaking sail/Mack Sails stack pack and lazy jack system. I am not at the boat and will check/send pictures maybe on the weekend. I have two reefs in my sails and I am pretty sure reef one runs through a line clutch on the starboard side and the two lines for reef 2 are on on the port side. Will check and revert probably on the weekend.

NormSail350
Escape (Hull #40)
Palmetto Bay, FL
NormSail350
Escape (hull #40)
Palmetto Bay, FL (Miami)
Olivia Mae

Post by Olivia Mae »

David,
The routing of the reef line as you described sounds correct. Ours also runs down to the starboard line clutch.

You didn't mention if you have blocks on the reef points of your sail. On the leech, we have a block held to the sail with a stainless ring on the other side. Line goes through the leech block and is anchored to the boom with a bowline. Same setup with another block on the luff. Without the blocks, the line will be much harder to pull directly through the sail grommets.

Scott
Scott and Linda

Olivia Mae
C350 Hull #53
Erie, Pa.
D&M

Post by D&M »

Sorry for the late reply. Finally got our boat home and had to return to work :x

We do not have blocks on the sails, only sheaves in the ends of the boom. It seems reef 1 works most of the time, but reef 2 is almost always jammed by reef 1 being tight over the top of it. Thanks for the input.

David
Regards,

David
Sea Lanes #281
Cairns, Australi
a