Considering 2004 Catalina 350 - questions

The sailor's version of gathering around the water cooler. Talk about anything your heart desires on this forum.

Moderator: KenKrawford

LI_Sound_Cat

Considering 2004 Catalina 350 - questions

Post by LI_Sound_Cat »

First of all - thanks to everyone that has contributed to the forum over the years. I think I have read just about every post since I started investigating the Catalina 350. I am in the market for a new boat as I have 3 kids and would like to upgrade from our 23' day sailor to be able to go on longer trips, sleep on the boat etc...

I had some questions for the group as I am evaluating a 2004 model that is for sale locally:
-this boat has been on the hard for 2 years at the brokerage (uncovered in NY)...how big a deal is this and what type of issues might I keep an eye out for?
-the lines and sheets are pretty dried out and dirty from the elements, what would be involved in replacing these/cost
-the bilge did not look like it had any anti-freeze in there? normal?
-the overflow for the radiator (I think) looks like it is disconnected and leaking antifreeze
-the water pump looks rusted and there is some residue (bluish) on the gasket connecting the hose, guessing this needs to be replaced, is this indicative of a bigger problem?

There are a few things I would like to add to the boat if I went through with it - any feedback appreciated:
-does not currently have a dodger, many have said this is a nice feature -- any idea on cost?
-does not have an inverter, any thoughts on complexity/cost of adding one?
-no radar/chartplotter (currently a handheld mounted), thoughts on thoughts on complexity/cost of adding one?
-interior cushions...is this something that came standard from the factory, it doesn't look like it has them - ideas on cost?

Apologies in advance if any of these questions don't make sense or addressed elsewhere. Looking forward to hopefully joining the community.
Thanks
Dan
“Glandore”
SubVet

Re: Considering 2004 Catalina 350 - questions

Post by SubVet »

Wow... Lots of questions...

-this boat has been on the hard for 2 years at the brokerage (uncovered in NY)...how big a deal is this and what type of issues might I keep an eye out for?
Not 100% sure on that topic. Dragon stays in the water all the time.

-the lines and sheets are pretty dried out and dirty from the elements, what would be involved in replacing these/cost
Well. That will probably get close to $1K given the diameter and length of all the running rigging and some time to sew together the bitter end of old to new and pulling them through - no big deal

-the bilge did not look like it had any anti-freeze in there? normal?
Sorry - don't know much about winterizing - Central Florida - I would expect your bilge would be dry so there's no need for anti-freeze there.

-the overflow for the radiator (I think) looks like it is disconnected and leaking antifreeze
Another winterizing question - the heat exchanger and water I think should have been drained.

-the water pump looks rusted and there is some residue (bluish) on the gasket connecting the hose, guessing this needs to be replaced, is this indicative of a bigger problem?

There are a few things I would like to add to the boat if I went through with it - any feedback appreciated:
-does not currently have a dodger, many have said this is a nice feature -- any idea on cost?
That's likely about $3K or more - I just spent $3500 to replace the canvas for my bimini and dodger.

-does not have an inverter, any thoughts on complexity/cost of adding one?
Not too difficult to add but requires some switching that needs to be added and you need enough battery to support your needs. I'd guess it's $5K or so to add it in properly as you'll need a source switch. Dragon has a genset as well. Biggest issue with the inverter is the ground loop. I had to isolate the inverter ground on our boat (a 2003) as the inverter ground loop disconnect is too slow for the new GFCI electrical codes.

-no radar/chartplotter (currently a handheld mounted), thoughts on thoughts on complexity/cost of adding one?
I thought the chartplotter was standard. Radar and a chart plotter is going to be costly - guessing about $10k

-interior cushions...is this something that came standard from the factory, it doesn't look like it has them - ideas on cost?

They MUST Be somewhere... I know that Catalina Direct sells them for around $6.5K

Sorry I can't be more help...
hperros

Post by hperros »

In addition to all the obvious problems that you see, there are many other systems in the boat that most probably would need some repair. You will only become aware of these problems when you start using the boat. The repairs may range from small to big. This is a common problem when the boat is neglected.

I think the question you need to ask yourself is: do I buy a boat that needs a lot of work or do I pay more money and buy a boat that I can sail straight away. This is a personal choice. If you like the first option, you will spend a lot of time working on the boat and whatever money you save in the purchase price you will most likely end up spending it in fixing the boat. Maybe more... unless of course you buy the boat at a ridiculous price.

Good luck !
Harry Perros
Aegean
Hull #331
LI_Sound_Cat

Post by LI_Sound_Cat »

Thanks for all the thoughtful responses and the phone call Leigh. I have decided to go with a similar year 350 but one that has been very well maintained and currently in the water. Looking forward to closing on the boat over the next few weeks.
Dan
“Glandore”