Replacement marine stereo radio/speakers

Post your technical questions or solutions about your boat's electrical systems or electronics here.

Moderator: KenKrawford

cuthbert

Replacement marine stereo radio/speakers

Post by cuthbert »

One of the speakers attached to the pushpit seats has gone out (yikes! I just realized that when I waxed the boat I missed this part). I tried to see what these were online, no luck and then spoke to Catalina who said if it was a factory installed system the speakers would be Bose 151 - looking at online images I don't think they are. So does anyone know what these speakers are? Does everyone have similar housings on their 350's? (mine is 2003), if so any recommendations on changes/upgrades. I changed the stereo (standard car form factor) many years back and put a Sony in with a small internal tray and iphone connector for ipods - the next year apple changed to the smaller connector. I would be happy to change up again at the same time as tackling the speakers and in doing so would like a bluetooth function so I could play an ipad out via the stereo when watching movies or just play music from my phone while sailing off shore. Any comments/advice gratefully received.

JC
IMG_4056.JPG
IMG_4056.JPG (87.82 KiB) Viewed 1441 times
Attachments
IMG_4055.JPG
IMG_4055.JPG (99.4 KiB) Viewed 1441 times
knitchie

Re: Replacement marine stereo radio/speakers

Post by knitchie »

Before you ditch the speaker, make sure that it is the problem. This summer, one of my speakers quit working. When I took it apart, I found that one of the speaker wires had a bad connection. Unlike most of the electrical wiring on our boats that is tinned, the speakers just have common speaker wire and are prone to corrosion in the moist marine environment.
Fair winds,
Ken
Capt. Nini

Post by Capt. Nini »

Not sure but they look like my Poly-Planer MRD-60 Waterproof speakers.

I bought them from J&H Products 734-320-0160

ballj@cablespeed.com
philliphyatt

Post by philliphyatt »

Following - I have the same set. Working but sound is not so great. Let us know what you upgrade to...
C:\WINNT\SYSTEM32>tracert life.liberty.pursuit-of-sailing
cuthbert

Post by cuthbert »

I'm getting there...speakers are Polyplanar MA 7500.

On pulling it out and making a few quick checks (4 ohms, clicks with a DC offset, a sinwave input can be heard) its clear the original speaker worked even though it looked terrible and had a hole in the face, plus the connections were all intact, so it looks like the stereo output amp blew a channel.

I went to polyplanar site and spoke to them and although they have an MA8000 or similar they insisted best bass was the 7500 in the Catalina standard navpod. It just so happens that since they had some manufacturer go bust they have the speaker and the navpod box for the same price as the speaker. So I got a pair in white (as the admiral thinks that would look nicer) for $200, just the same except it comes with the short cable as shown which is fitted and sealed, the original was two connections lugs and also bought (from Crutchfield) a Sony standard one DIN sized stereo DSX- M55BT for $120 its slightly less deep than the one that came out ....but now it has a different connector than the last replacement Sony and before that the original radio and CD changer as fitted from the factory so fitting it will be sometime when I have a free half day at the weekend.

I'm looking forwards to movies on the ipad when moored with full sound.
Attachments
IMG_4063.JPG
IMG_4063.JPG (71.46 KiB) Viewed 1388 times
IMG_4064.JPG
IMG_4064.JPG (139.14 KiB) Viewed 1388 times