Topping Lift

Post your technical questions or solutions about your boat's sails and rigging and here.

Moderator: KenKrawford

D&M

Topping Lift

Post by D&M »

Hi,
On my newly purchased Cat 350 there is no topping lift. The PO seemed to put the main halyard to the boom but no topping lift. I presume he relied on the rigid vang to hold up the mast, when lowering the main and prior to attaching the main halyard to the end of the boom. Is this a normal mode of operation for these vsls? I cannot inspect it yet as it is inter-state and I don't get my hands on it till next week. Thus I don't know if he snapped the topping lift and simply left it unrigged. :?
Regards,

David
Sea Lanes #281
Cairns, Australi
a
KenKrawford

Re: Topping Lift

Post by KenKrawford »

David I'm pretty sure that a topping lift was standard equipment on C350's. It was on mine. It should be pretty easy to rig one during re-commissioning once your boat reaches its new home.
Ken Krawford
Message Board Moderator
C350 # 351
Lake Lanier, GA
Mark Sutherland

Post by Mark Sutherland »

Can we assume that you have a slab reefed main and NOT a furling main? If you have a furling main, you are definitely going to want a topping lift to insure the optimal positioning of the boom and furling line car (raised above horizontal) for deployment and stowing of the main.
Mark Sutherland,
Dunrobin III
Hull #388 (2006)
D&M

Post by D&M »

Thanks, yes should have spelled out a slabbed main not furling. Received a call from the rigger who took that mast down to say he found part of the topping lift inside the mast. He willalso re-rig for me. :D
Regards,

David
Sea Lanes #281
Cairns, Australi
a