head hatch

Post your technical questions or solutions about your boat's head here.

Moderator: KenKrawford

elk

head hatch

Post by elk »

So, during a jibe the jib sheet came across and tore off the dog latch(latch dog?) for the head hatch. It seems it was glued to the acrylic. Has anyone tried to drill out the lens and use the newer design dog that goes through the lens? It's available from Catalina Direct for $22 or the whole lens with the dog handle is $122. Has anyone ever drilled one of these lenses?

Thanks,
Ed Kruzel
S/V Emily
Hull #399, 2006 C350
Cataumet, MA
hperros

Re: head hatch

Post by hperros »

I think the secret is to drill on both sides. Start drilling on one side first and then continue drilling on the other side, and keep alternating. It won't take but a couple of rounds. I would start with a small bit and then increase its size.
Harry Perros
Aegean
Hull #331
elk

Post by elk »

hperros wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 8:52 am I think the secret is to drill on both sides. Start drilling on one side first and then continue drilling on the other side, and keep alternating. It won't take but a couple of rounds. I would start with a small bit and then increase its size.
Thanks for the info. I figured that, and also modifying a drill bit to use with acrylic.

Ed
Ed Kruzel
S/V Emily
Hull #399, 2006 C350
Cataumet, MA
hperros

Post by hperros »

What is the lens part number???? I searched in the Catalina direct web site but couldn’t find it.
Harry Perros
Aegean
Hull #331
elk

Post by elk »

Here's the link for the mark 1 lens;

https://www.catalinadirect.com/shop-by- ... -x-13quot/

BTW, my attempt at replacing the hatch handle was a success. Drilled the lens and installed it without a problem. If you need details, email me.
Ed Kruzel
S/V Emily
Hull #399, 2006 C350
Cataumet, MA