Raw water pump

You guessed it. Post your technical questions or solutions about your boat's engine and transmission here.

Moderator: KenKrawford

Phil Collison

Raw water pump

Post by Phil Collison »

I purchased hull 382 about two years ago and had to have a new pump installed after a year. 60 hours and new pump is leaking so called local Westerbeake shop. After three weeks of back order i was informed that Sherwood no longer makes this pump and there is no substitute. The shop ordered a repair kit and plans to rebuild. Just wondering if this sounds reasonable. Should have stayed with Yanmar.
Phil Collison
Odenton, Md.
Flagmanmike

Re: Raw water pump

Post by Flagmanmike »

If you have a Universal M35B, Orberdorfer makes a direct replacement. Oberdorfer N202M-908 Raw Water Pump Installation. Several discount marine sites sell them. The impeller is replaced by removing the forward facing cover and a snap-ring, easy - peasy. The snap ring tool may be a new tool for some on the boat. I made the switch and glad I did. Read this blog on the Engine Forum for more info.

Mike Cronin
Flagship #314
TEM58

Re: Raw water pump

Post by TEM58 »

There’s several discussions here about the change from Sherwood to Oberdorfer. Most consider it an upgrade. My Oberdorfer pump was leaking back in December so initially I planned to rebuild it. However, because of time constraints I ended up replacing with new and rebuilding the old one later. If you end up changing pumps you’ll also need this kit https://www.pumpvendor.com/Westerbeke_302838.html unless you get the OB N202-837. As I recall the 837 is the same pump as the 908, but includes additional hardware. There’s also a few variants based on how you mount the OB to the engine. These things are crazy expensive, but I shopped hard and found significant differences in prices. Double check this info though; it’s been a while since I dealt with it.
Tim Meredith
Perfect Match II
2003 #35
Belton, TX
Boat currently Punta Gorda, FL