New Honda EU 2200i

Post your technical questions or solutions about your boat's air conditioning here.

Moderator: KenKrawford

tmh

New Honda EU 2200i

Post by tmh »

Does anyone have any experience with the new Honda EU2200i generator? Is this powerful enough to start/run the AC as a single unit?

Mike
Irish Ayes #227
Mike
Irish Ayes
sargentef

Re: New Honda EU 2200i

Post by sargentef »

The short answer is "NO", not at all! There is a thread some where in the air conditioning forum that addresses this issue. We even tried one of the slow start capacitors = junk!

"Seawing"
Hull# 309
SeaBreeze

Post by SeaBreeze »

Mike
I used a Honda 2000 on my Morgan 384. Loved it. Your question takes a little deep research on your part to answer. A quick and superficial look at specs show the Honda output rated at 18 amps. If your AC unit is like mine, it is rated at 13 amps. Should be no problem. But look at the details. Is the Honda 18 amp a running amp rating (continuous) or a start up rating. Motors draw more current for the few milliseconds it takes them to start turning at rated rpm. This is sometimes called locked rotor LRA amp draw. Find out what the rated LRA is of the AC unit and find out what the (output) LRA amp rating is for the Honda to handle a very short spike in load. Then verify real running amps are of your AC unit. Beg or borrow a clamp on multimeter with at least a 30 amp rating at 120 vac. With shore power plugged into the AC unit have someone start the AC unit. The meter should read the running amps of the AC unit plus the water pump feeding sea water to the condenser. The meter won’t be quick enough to pick up the current spike LRA at start up. In my previous life, we would guestimate LRA of single phase 120 vac motors at 6 to 7 times running amps. But knowing what the AC manufacturers specs are would be best. If the AC unit is older, maybe add a few percent. Motors, like people, loose efficiency with age. I hope this works out for you. I installed a fixed mount generator that cost a small fortune. Noisy, fuel hog, added weight. It great when I need it but need it so infrequently.
Rick
Sea Breeze
Rick Parish
Sea Breeze
nybor

Post by nybor »

Hi. I have two Yamaha 2000s with a parallel cable to double the output. My A/C is 16.5 kBtu and like the other posts, one won't start the A/C. However, once it does start with the two, I can turn off one of them and it will keep the A/C running, albeit barely (when the compressor cycles). I thought about a 4kwatt unit but way too heavy.

dave
Nybor
tmh

Post by tmh »

“Seawing” , Rich and Dave. Thank you so much for all of this information. This can lead me in the right direction and not buying something I cannot use. Thanks again.
Mike
Mike
Irish Ayes