power loss to instrument panel

Post your technical questions or solutions about your boat's electrical systems or electronics here.

Moderator: KenKrawford

jrohrbaugh

power loss to instrument panel

Post by jrohrbaugh »

After being in the ocean for 7 hours (everything working) I suffered a total loss of instrument panel power. - All gauges went off!
No loss of engine power. Then they all went back on. This happened several times intermittently.
I also have had intermittent tach issues as listed in other posts.

Is there a master wiring connector coming from the pedestal to the master panel that if loose, might cause total instrument loss of power?

Past issues taking off the plastic helm gauge panel make this the last thing I want to do.

Thanks for any help offered.
wolfe10

Re: power loss to instrument panel

Post by wolfe10 »

Tell us what year/hull number you have.

Someone may have access to the electrical drawings for it.
Brett Wolfe
C350 #180
"Vindaloo"
Ft Myers FL
scott.monroe

Post by scott.monroe »

With seeing total & intermittent loss of power to your instrument panel sounds like an unwanted open (loose or broken wire) on either your power going to or the ground coming from the panel. I replaced my pedestal last year along with rewiring the panel and I found that Catalina uses terminal strips inside the pedestal head that connected the wires running below deck. On my boat the wires running into the strip were badly corroded and how they weren't failing is beyond me. But the terminal strips are mechanical screw terminal attachments that can come loose. I know you might not want to open your pedestal but if you get inside and gently wiggle the wires in the white terminal strips while its the panel is powered on you might find the effect happening. If you do find a wire loose/broken/badly corroded you might cut it back (look for black/discoloration under the insulation - indicates corrosion) and re-insert into terminal strip and re-tighten the screw.

When I did my pedestal I created a wiring diagram for the panel. I was true to the original wiring with the exception of the alarm buzzer, so my diagram might be of use.

Hope this helps.
Scott
Attachments
Figure 5 (Southern Yankee).jpg
Figure 5 (Southern Yankee).jpg (254.52 KiB) Viewed 3636 times
Scott Monroe
C350 #409 / Southern Yankee
North Kingstown, RI
wolfe10

Post by wolfe10 »

Very helpful, Scott.

Thanks.
Brett Wolfe
C350 #180
"Vindaloo"
Ft Myers FL
jrohrbaugh

Post by jrohrbaugh »

Thanks everyone for quick replies.
I have ordered a new instrument plate (original corners broken) and will start looking for the items submitted.
This forum is so helpful.
Thanks to Ken and all of you!
Will report back findings.
jrohrbaugh

Post by jrohrbaugh »

P.S. hull number is 444.
TBOT422

Post by TBOT422 »

Is your loss of power completely at the helm (i.e. chart plotter, etc.) or only the instrument gauges ? I had a similar complete loss of power to the helm, although my situation was not intermittent. While underway, a failure of the pre-heat solenoid caused the main 20-amp breaker to trip. As the engine was already running, there was no engine failure. However, when I turned the engine off and attempted to restart, there was also no power to the ignition switch. Who needs an engine, its a sailboat!

If you have a copy of the M35B Service Manual, check the Diagram #39144 on page 94. Battery power goes from the battery switch to the starter solenoid. From that lug wires go to both the pre-heat solenoid and the alternator. From the pre-heat solenoid a wire is connected to a 20-amp circuit breaker. (Look for a small red button with '20' on the starboard side of the engine below the pre-heat solenoid). From that circuit breaker power is ran to the helm terminal strip that then feds all of the helm gauges, etc. Since your problem is intermittent, I would check connections at all the primary junction points before going into the helm panel.
Gary & Janet
The Best of Times (Hull #422)
jrohrbaugh

Post by jrohrbaugh »

Found loose-corroded wires at terminal block. Thanks to all for your input.
Ordered new Seaward panel faceplate part # BA9511.
Almost $200. bucks, yikes.