Scanstrut radar mount on mast.

Post your technical questions or solutions about your boat's electrical systems or electronics here.

Moderator: KenKrawford

elk

Scanstrut radar mount on mast.

Post by elk »

I'm going to install a Quantum radar on a Scanstrut SC20 mount just above the steaming light on the mast. Has anyone done this before or have a different mount they know works? This is the mount Raymarine recommends , just not sure if it fits the curvature well enough.

Thanks,
Ed Kruzel
S/V Emily
Hull #399, 2006 C350
Cataumet, MA
vineyardsailor

Re: Scanstrut radar mount on mast.

Post by vineyardsailor »

If you are mounting the radar for the first time, I would consider a swivel mount on the backstay. I have a Questes. It installed fairly easily, however there is a slight modification to the mounting pole required. Being closer to the deck allows for maintenance more easily
elk

Post by elk »

Has no one mounted a radar on their mast?

Thanks for the reply regarding the back stay but I want the extra range from the height and don't want to run the wire from the stern, means another hole somewhere with exposed wire.

Thanks,
Ed Kruzel
S/V Emily
Hull #399, 2006 C350
Cataumet, MA
seatime2

Post by seatime2 »

I had one mounted on Nancy Scott C439 some years ago and it works fine. My memory of the install was not about any difficulties with the scanstrut and the raymarine radar but rather squeezing the extra cables in at the base of the mast and through to the boat when we put the mast back.
dedgell

Post by dedgell »

We have a Waltz self leveling radar mount on the mast of Blue Wing. It holds a Raymarine unit circa 2008. https://www.waltzmfg.com

The mount fits the mast fine. The location on the mast gives good range, but perhaps at the expense of the very close range around the boat. That may be a function of the age of the unit and my skills in tuning it too. The self leveling function is very helpful.

The stainless steel guard that protects the radar from the sail did not fit and had to be modified. The resulting guard has been a probem as it interferes with the sail upon tacking and I regularly need to go up the mast to tighten the bolts securing it to the mast.

I’ve been thinking of changing to a pole mount or back stay mount when/if I update the electronics and get a new radar.

Good luck with your install.

David Edgell
S/v Blue Wing
C350 442
elk

Post by elk »

Thanks for the answers everyone.

Seatime2- was your mast a Sparcraft, aka, Charleston Spar?

Thanks,
Ed Kruzel
S/V Emily
Hull #399, 2006 C350
Cataumet, MA
modesid

Post by modesid »

Just wanted to add that I mounted a Ray Hi Def
On a Scanstrut Backstay and love it.
I did a mast mount on my 34 MkII and that OK unless
You have to work on the Radar.
On my 350 with Gimbal backstay mount it doesn’t
Interfere with the sails and the radar works Great.
Wind Dancer Haul 0011