solar install

Post your technical questions or solutions about your boat's electrical systems or electronics here.

Moderator: KenKrawford

belladonna

Re: solar install

Post by belladonna »

Hi Scott - I would love pics of what you have done as I'm at the point of mounting my controller and connecting it to the battery system and solar panels. Thanx, Jim
Jim Lassiter
2005 Catalina 350 "BELLA DONNA" # 368
White Stone, VA (lower Chesapeake Bay)
Olivia Mae

Post by Olivia Mae »

HI again JIm. The other Scott here.

Some wiring considerations. I made a few changes on our boat when I put the solar in. I paralleled the 2 x 4d batteries for a larger house bank. My batteries are fairly new, but when it comes time for replacement, I'll put in 4 x 6v golf cart batts in their place.

I then added a group 24 emergency start battery under the settee seat next to the existing bank. The group 24 is on bank 1 and the larger house bank is on bank on the battery switch. The only reason I would ever switch to bank 1 (other than testing) is if we managed to run the house bank dead.

Last, I added a Victron battery combiner between the banks so they would be both charged regardless of which position the battery switch is in.

For the solar, I ended up using 2 controllers as I wanted to use MC4 connectors, which limited me to 10 awg wiring (max size connectors I could find). I paralleled 2 of the panels on one controller and used the other controller for the other 160 watt panel. This kept the current reasonable for the length of the 10 gauge solar wiring I used. The solar wiring runs through switches before it goes to the controllers. This way, I can switch off the panels. This is needed as once the batteries are fully charged, the solar will screw up the tach when the motor is running and charging too. It will get flakey, and drop out until you turn off the panels.

I wired the charging output from the controllers directly to the house bank through Blue Sea MRBF fuses installed at the battery bank.

Scott Smith
Scott and Linda

Olivia Mae
C350 Hull #53
Erie, Pa.
belladonna

Post by belladonna »

Hello Scott - I have 4 Trojan 145+ golf cart batteries where I have 2 sets wired in series for 12v then in parallel for a 425aH house bank. Also have a Grp. 27 starting battery. I only have 2 - 104w panels wired in series to a single Victron MPPT controller that I mounted in the compartment where the start battery is located. I was able to use MC4 connectors with my 10AWG cable and have a run of about 30' to the controller. I also have an Automatic Charge Relay (similar to your battery combiner) to let me charge both banks at the same time with either the alternator or shore power. The battery positive lead from the controller is connected thru a fuse to the ACR and the negative to the load side of the Victron battery monitor electrical shunt. This configuration is working well so far and pumping plenty of amps into the batteries. I have not experienced the problem with the tach but will be on the lookout for it. Thanx Scott for all of your help and happy sailing if we can ever recuperate from this coronavirus stuff. Jim
Jim Lassiter
Olivia Mae

Post by Olivia Mae »

Thx. Can't wait to get back up north to the boat and put my transmission back in (after rebuild), but that's another story 8)
Scott and Linda

Olivia Mae
C350 Hull #53
Erie, Pa.
belladonna

Post by belladonna »

WOW, glad I'm not dealing with a transmission; that sounds like serious and aggravating stuff. Stay well!! Jim
Jim Lassiter
scott.monroe

Post by scott.monroe »

Hey Jim,

Here are a couple of composite pics of where the GoPower controller got mounted and where I installed the components behind the fixed panel above the distribution panel.

Take care,
Scott
Attachments
View of behind fixed panel and distribution panel
View of behind fixed panel and distribution panel
DC Distribution panel view.JPG (118.65 KiB) Viewed 2558 times
Battery Switches.JPG
Battery Switches.JPG (61.29 KiB) Viewed 2558 times
Scott Monroe
C350 #409 / Southern Yankee
North Kingstown, RI
belladonna

Post by belladonna »

Thanx Scott - You have some neat and orderly looking wiring there. I mounted my controller down in the big locker forward of the main battery locker where my "starting" battery is located (didn't want to mess with the battery switches and breakers panel) and it worked out fine. My two 104W panels are now working great. Thanx for the pics and your advice. Jim
Jim Lassiter