Hard Dodger

The sailor's version of gathering around the water cooler. Talk about anything your heart desires on this forum.

Moderator: KenKrawford

bobdelia

Hard Dodger

Post by bobdelia »

I have hull #020 from 2003, and It's time to replace my dodger. Has anyone installed a hard dodger on their boat? Thank you, Bob
Pgtjs

Re: Hard Dodger

Post by Pgtjs »

HI there,

Yes, I have a fiberglass (hard) dodger. Installed on the boat when new in 2006. Purchased it from a local canvas guy (Bellingham WA) who had it made according to his pattern and design. No problems with the hardware. The five canvas "panels" have worn as expected - I replaced the plexiglass inserts which had degenerated into a cloudy "orange" colour and new plexi was sown into the existing canvas surrounds. I went with a plexi alternative product called "Starbright" ( not sure of the name) which cost a lot more than the usual plexi and is claimed to be thicker and more scratch resistant- it is a disaster and has clouded up in 3 years to a near white opacity. The vendor refused a warranty claim as they said it must have been cleaned by a different plexiglass cleaner than their own. I was never told of any such limitation and used the usual Westmarine product once or twice a year.

As the canvas surrounds are now old and tired, I will be replacing the whole panels shortly and will use ordinary plexi inserts and not the fancy stuff.

Hope this helps,

Geoff. C350 #392, Taeko 1V, Blaine WA.
Pgtjs

Re: Hard Dodger Correction

Post by Pgtjs »

Hi there again,

Further to my earlier reply, I just called the canvas guy and the name of the product which has failed quickly is "Stratoglass". Please note it was not called Starbright. My memory is not what It once was!

Cheers, Geoff.
Geoff.S., Semiahmoo, WA.
russp

Post by russp »

Hey guys,

Just a bit more background if of interest. The hard dodger must have been a factory option or purpose designed "after market" because mine came delivered with the hard dodger and bonded windows by Barrett Enclosures of Seattle. I was told they were strataglass and they crazed after about 7 years in the full sun. By then Barrett had closed and sold the rights to Rainier Industries, also in Seattle, and when I replaced mine in 2013/14 I purchased a new set from Rainier.

Strataglass do make a big deal about "only" use their specified cleaner (IMAR strataglass protective polish) and while I generally only use water and a soft cloth on Lexan windows, if I get a mark on them I use the IMAR to polish it off.

I had a choice of coated polycarbonate (Lexan branded) or acrylic and they suggested the Lexan would be more durable. Bonding means they are glued between two sheets of vinyl rather than stitched, so no thread to rot, no stitch holes to go mouldy. This time around I am making them last, had a cover made for the dodger, so the windows only see sun (UV) when we are on board and I am hoping for 20 years this time.

Rainier have the pattern to fit the original hard top.
Russ Peel
Avalon #150
Mark Sutherland

Post by Mark Sutherland »

I have a hard dodger, installed by PO. Rainier windows, more rigid and much clearer than stratoglass, more window area, less canvas, better visibility. The hard dodger is very attractive, super sturdy, numerous sturdy handholds, and should last a long, long time. According to the PO's notes, he appears to have paid around 10k installed. A lot for a dodger. Caveat; while this dodger is taller than most, I still hit my head on it at 5'10". If your 5'8" you should be fine. Hitting your head on rigid fiberglass hurts a bit more than a traditional dodger. I have red tape on the edges now to remind me to duck! Lol.
Mark Sutherland,
Dunrobin III
Hull #388 (2006)
Social Distancing

Post by Social Distancing »

bobdelia wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2017 4:52 pm I have hull #020 from 2003, and It's time to replace my dodger. Has anyone installed a hard dodger on their boat? Thank you, Bob
Bob, Did you ever have a hard Dodger made? I will likely be looking to redo my canvas soon and I'm very interested in a hard dodger. I'm in DC so I may be looking at the same possible shop to have mine done.
Chris
S/V Social Distancing (#384)