Deck Light Pre-Wiring?

Post your technical questions or solutions about your boat's electrical systems or electronics here.

Moderator: KenKrawford

Mark Sutherland

Deck Light Pre-Wiring?

Post by Mark Sutherland »

I have a new to me 2006, Hull #388. My boat does not have deck light on the underside of my steaming light assembly (although a nearby 2005 350 appears to have the same unit, with the deck light option). Two questions: 1)can the existing unit be modified to add the deck light, and 2)was the boat pre-wired for a deck light? If so, where might I find the termination of those wires? Thanks.
Mark Sutherland,
Dunrobin III
Hull #388 (2006)
leigh weiss

Re: Deck Light Pre-Wiring?

Post by leigh weiss »

The first place to look is at the wiring harness under the head sink below the floor. You might find the harness for the steaming/deck light that will be connected to the switch on the electrical panel.
If you have a three conductor wire for the steaming light, then one of those wires should/might be behind the lighting fixture on the mast but not used.
Replace the fixture and add the third and ground connections.
Lots of luck with your project. Let us know what you find
Leigh and Donna Weiss
Brisa #155
Georgetown, MD. USA
Pgtjs

Post by Pgtjs »

Hi Mark,

I have hull # 392 which is only a few after your C350. My deck light works fine. Do you have a separate switch on the main board in the cabin? If so I would imagine you have the wiring all connected correctly. I presume you have checked the bulb: I had to replace it a few years back. I used a rigger to go up the mast ( not my forte!) and had all the bulbs changed and the upper shrouds checked at that time. I noted one other owner had a forestay failure due to a failed clevis pin some years back so had all mine checked and two or three replaced. Also many years ago on another boat I had the radio arial changed at the top of the mast as the connections to the coax cable had corroded resulting in a lot of static. So perhaps it would be a a good idea to get it all checked if you use a rigger.

Cheers, Geoff.S. C350 - #392, Taeko 1V, Semiahmoo WA.
Geoff.S., Semiahmoo, WA.
Richard Thabit

Post by Richard Thabit »

My 2003 lost the entire deck light assembly with bulb so I thought I would need to replace the fixture. I asked around and bought the light bulb which was the assembly. My granddaughter went up in a Bosuns chair and plugged in the new bulb and it has worked fine for many years. Yes, there is a separate switch on the 12 volt panel inside the boat.
Richard
C350. 111
Mark Sutherland

I checked the DC panel and I was disappointed to not find a "Deck Light" switch. There is a steaming light switch, but no deck light switch.
Mark Sutherland,
Dunrobin III
Hull #388 (2006)
SeaBreeze

Post by SeaBreeze »

Mark, I'm not on my boat today but I am looking at the owner's manual. Is your steaming light switch the second switch down in the middle column of switches on the 12 volt dc distribution panel? If so, what is the label on the 3rd switch down on the left column (my manual says the top 3 on the left column are in decending order - port cabin lights, running lights, deck light). I thought all our panels were identical. Maybe it ain't so. If that 3rd switch down on the left column isn't labled deck light, what is it labeled?
Rick
Sea Breeze
Rick Parish
Sea Breeze
Mark Sutherland

Hi Rick, the PO placed black tape over the labels of all unused switches on the panel, around 16 in all. The 3rd switch down in the first row is one of those covered switches. I'll peel the tape off and see if indeed it is the deck light switch. (I just realized I had my boat manual at home and it does indeed show a deck light switch as you describe. The mast illustration and the panel wiring diagram also seem to indicate that the deck light is prewired). I'll open the panel to confirm this. It's quite odd that I have a 2005 350 right next to me and his steaming light assembly and mine look identical, except that his has a deck light in the bottom of it. It doesn't appear that mine "fell out", it just looks it didn't come with the deck light option? I just had a rigging inspection. The rigger commented on all of the lights, but didn't mention that the deck light appeared to be "missing". It doesn't make sense that Catalina would exclude a feature from that light assembly that couldn't possibly cost more than a few bucks. Maybe it did fall out...
Mark Sutherland,
Dunrobin III
Hull #388 (2006)
leigh weiss

Post by leigh weiss »

Mark,
My deck light fell out early on when I got the boar. The entire cover, glass, bulb and reflector came crashing down on deck,
I called Hella ( Keven Watkiss at Customer Service 770 631 7500 )and they sent a replacement cover assembly with glass which I glued in (not relying on the original snap tabs to hold it in. I also replaced the halogen bulb with a LED with reflector and glued this in as well. You should have a socket for a g4 two pin bulb inside the bottom of the fixture. I also omitted the glass bulb cover as the led had a cover and does not put out UV. and runs quite cool.
Have had it for many years and has worked fine.
Cheers:
Leigh and Donna Weiss
Brisa #155
Georgetown, MD. USA
Mark Sutherland

Hi Leigh, This weekend I looked at the Steaming/Deck light assembly with my binoculars and indeed I saw the two small holes confirming it was the plug for the two-prong deck light bulb, which had undoubtedly fallen out just as you described. I'll be calling Hella for the replacement parts. Thanks for your help! :D
Mark Sutherland,
Dunrobin III
Hull #388 (2006)
Ray Edwards

Post by Ray Edwards »

Replaced mine, found it at Menard, probably could find same at Home Depot if you don't have a Menard. It's a cone like fixture and plugs in.
Ray