Macerator switch/Overboard Discharge

Post your technical questions or solutions about your boat's head here.

Moderator: KenKrawford

MikeDH

Macerator switch/Overboard Discharge

Post by MikeDH »

I have a recently-purchased 2008 C350 (MKII) with a head set up to operate on raw and/or fresh water. When I flipped the macerator switch on the DC panel nothing happened, and when I looked behind the panel I sew that switch is not connected to anything. Does that mean the macerator turns on instead when the push button next to the head is pressed (e.g. to flush the toilet)? Also, how does one discharge waste overboard when 3 miles or more offshore. Simply open the red discharge valve? My head is currently set to use only fresh water (i.e the raw water intake valve in the forward berth is closed). Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Amnesia

Re: Macerator switch/Overboard Discharge

Post by Amnesia »

Mike,

Don't know about the MKII, but the the original C350's did not have a macerator, despite having a switch labeled as such on the electrical panel. The impeller of the pump (hard plastic (or some polymer equivalent) acted as a similar equivalent to a macerator.
Mike Emery

S/V Amnesia
Cat350 #169
Amnesia

Post by Amnesia »

Sorry didn't answer the second question...again, on the original C350's the dump valve (red handle) opened a gravity feed drain of the waste tank...no pumping required..."gravity"....as in 32 ft/second (squared) acceleration...it was a physics thing on those 350's not a mechanical thing.

We love our C350 (#169) despite it's abysmal refrigeration system...hope you have many years of enjoyment of your MKII!!!
Mike Emery

S/V Amnesia
Cat350 #169
MikeDH

Post by MikeDH »

Thanks for the replies Mike. It sounds like I have the same setup you're describing. When I opened the discharge valve with the red handle nothing happened so, looking at other posts, I need to check the air vent. If that doesn't do it, I'll need to figure out how to clear a likely clog at the bottom of the discharge pipe.
KevinMc

Post by KevinMc »

A simple solution may be to jam a wooden dowel up into the discharge pipe from the bottom of the boat. There is a "grossness" level to the process but it's only a few feet from the thru-hull to the bottom of the tank.
Kevin
NavSta Norfolk Marina
MikeDH

Post by MikeDH »

Good suggestion. I'll give that a try when the boat is hauled next month for bottom painting. Thanks.