Looking for charts

The sailor's version of gathering around the water cooler. Talk about anything your heart desires on this forum.

Moderator: KenKrawford

Kzen

Looking for charts

Post by Kzen »

Does anyone have charts of the Chesepeake, c-d canal, Delaware around Cape May to Tom's River? I'm sailing up that way in late May.

Thanks.
leigh weiss

Re: Looking for charts

Post by leigh weiss »

Welcome to the C350 family.
Do you need paper or electronic charts (Raster/vector)?
The electronic charts are free for down load and I think will run with free "Open CPN" on a PC, apple or android device.
You can download copies of the paper charts and print them out for your trip. Check out NOAA chart down load on the web.
Open CPM also has a Grib wind and wave overlay (free download) you might want to use. The anchor basin on the C-D canal has a special chart with the current soundings, very detailed.
You can print out the small craft chart books (free download) for the New Jersey ICW section and use it directly.( From NOAA web page).
I use the Open CPN software with a USB GPS ( $10 on the web.) with my HP laptop. Works great and I update the charts when I have internet access. As a backup my Android tablet uses "MX Mariner" (about $4) with free chart downloads from NOAA and has Active Captain in the charts. I used this for my trip South for the winter and use it for my trips to Block Island.
I works with the internal tablet GPS in real time. Very nice!
Hope this helps, if you have more questions give a shout out.
Leigh and Donna Weiss
Brisa #155
Georgetown, MD. USA