Genoa Furling Line Specs

Post your technical questions or solutions about your boat's sails and rigging and here.

Moderator: KenKrawford

Barbara

Genoa Furling Line Specs

Post by Barbara »

I checked the manual for the 2100 Schaeffer furler for the genoa. It says 70 feet of 5/16" line. I just wanted to verify that with anyone who has replaced theirs already. We have found quite a number of lines on our boat did not match the spec. We bought 100' of line for one based on the spec, then found that we really only needed 50'. Obviously, we would rather not overpay and end up with double the amount of line that's actually needed. Thanks!
-Barbara
Freedom #76
Barbara
#76 Freedom

"Wherever we want to go, we go. That’s what a ship is, you know. It’s not just a keel and hull and a deck and sails. That’s what a ship needs. But what a ship is… what the Black Pearl really is… is freedom."
nybor

Re: Genoa Furling Line Specs

Post by nybor »

I too am having a hard time figuring out replacement lengths/sizes. If Leigh Weiss is reading these posts, he would definitely know ALL of the dimensions, since I understand he replaces his every 6 months.

dave
leigh weiss

Post by leigh weiss »

Dave and all others,
I don't know the dimensions for the furling line but have it on my todo list. I will follow this thread for the answer.
Leigh and Donna Weiss
Brisa #155
Georgetown, MD. USA
wolfe10

Post by wolfe10 »

Length of jib furling line is highly dependent on the size of the jib.

Said another way, it takes more furling line to furl a 150% jib than a 110% jib. Length of line should correspond to that needed for the largest jib you use.
Brett Wolfe
C350 #180
"Vindaloo"
Ft Myers FL
ps23435

Post by ps23435 »

We just replaced the furling line for our jib furler. We purchased 90' of 5/16 and found that the 70' mentioned was sufficient (for a 135 genoa). We did find that the new line was a bit difficult to thread into the furler but did get it through the holes by angling the ends. The new line was also quite stiff so the first few times furling it didn't roll quite right. That seems to be resolving as the line weathers a bit.
Pete & Anita
Slip Away #437
Hampton, VA
S/V Serendipity

Post by S/V Serendipity »

We just replaced all the running rigging on Serendipity. We used 75 ft. of 7/16 for the furling line. We used the 70 ft. recommendation and I added 5 feet to it just in case.
We did a lot of research to come up with the lengths and sizes we needed and still had some lengths longer than needed.

Bart, Trish, Sailor and Gizmo
Serendipity #122
Daytona Beach Fl.
nybor

Post by nybor »

wow. replaced ALL the running rigging! Do you off chance have the lengths and sizes of all of them? I see in a previous post that both the 5/16 and 7/16 inch diameters were used. Does anybody have a preference? I want to do all of mine as well. Also, I am at a loss as to what kind of line to purchase. There are so many different weaves, materials etc........in other words........PAN, PAN, PAN.

thanks
d
a
v
e
nybor

Post by nybor »

Thanks. I was also interested in the other lines (outhaul, main furler, halyards etc.)

thanks
S/V Serendipity

Here are the sizes and lengths of line we used. We arrived at this through the Catalina 350 manual the Genoa and Mainsail furling manuals, calling Catalina, talking with another 350 owner on our dock, And taking measurements on the boat (without going up the mast) and when totally unsure, flipping my lucky quarter. (2 out of 3 times). We also added a few feet to some lines to insure no problems.
Rigging Name Quantity Length Size End
Main Sheet 1 100' 1/2"
Genoa Sheet 2 50' 1/2"
Traveler 2 35' 3/8"
Genoa Halyard 1 120' 1/2" SnapShackle 3.5"
Genoa Halyard 1 130' 1/2" Snap Shackle
Main Halyard 1 120' 1/2" Headboard Shackle
Main Furling 1 60' 3/8"
Genoa Furler 1 75' 7/16”
Outhaul 1 55' 3/8"
Boom Topping Lift 1 115 3/8"
Boom Vang 1 50' 3/8"

We ordered all lines from the Online Rope Store, whom we met at the Ft Lauderdale Boat show. They were very helpful in making sure we got the right types of lines. No major problems replacing the lines with the exception of the in mast furler which took some time to get the locking screw loose. (patience and perseverance ).
S/V Serendipity
Daytona Beach, Fl.
nybor

Post by nybor »

Triple WOW!!! Thank you soooooo much. I am sure others will find this info extremely helpful.

Since I printed your info out, please delete your post. I will then SELL the info to the other 350ers for $10.
(you will get a $0.50 commission)

thanks again

dave
S/V Serendipity

No problem Dave.

Anything to help the boat fund.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
S/V Serendipity
Daytona Beach, Fl.
Barbara

Post by Barbara »

Thanks for all the responses. It's amazing the variation in sizes and lengths of lines for the same boat. It seems like dealers adapt the factory specs to suit their preferences. We went with 70' of 5/16". Thanks again!
Barbara
Barbara
#76 Freedom

"Wherever we want to go, we go. That’s what a ship is, you know. It’s not just a keel and hull and a deck and sails. That’s what a ship needs. But what a ship is… what the Black Pearl really is… is freedom."
nybor

Post by nybor »

Hi. While the info on lengths and lines sizes is great help, I need info on WHAT kind on line to order. I have enough strange lengths of rope ( I remember it is rope until it is installed!), that the America's Cup said I could be the supplier for ALL the cats.

So, any help would be.... helpful?

thanks

dave, Nybor

ps, anybody need 500 feet of kevlar/titanium/carbon fiber, 2" rope? the neat thing is it will stand upright on its own - kinda hard to thread it thru the main furler, but will keep trying.
man4sail

Post by man4sail »

I would use consider New England Sta Set. You’re only using the line to furl so moderate stretch isn’t an issue.
nybor

Post by nybor »

thanks for the suggestion. I failed (as is my custom) to mention that I wanted to know the type (now I know), but the thickness for the MAIN furler.

I think it is 3/8, but maybe a tad thinner????

dave
roostermt

Post by roostermt »

Hey Guys,

Need to replace the Main Outhaul line on the Selden In mast furling. I see above in the post someone mentioned 55 feet? Would that be the length for the Selden?

Also, Just stitch and go is the best way to replace?

Rooster
cuthbert

Post by cuthbert »

I am currently looking at replacing the furling line and also the jib sheets and in trawling for info re sizing thought it best to post to this thread as its handy with all the sizes provided.

Re the furling line if both 5/16 and 7/16 are useable I guess there is no disadvantage with going with the easier to handle slightly larger rope size or am I missing something?

For the jib sheet(s), is the prevailing wisdom nowadays to use
a) The traditional 2 x 50ft sheets each tied with a bowline (which I currently have)
b) A single 100ft line tied with a cow hitch/larks head knot
c) A single 100ft but with the cow hitch onto a dyneema soft shackle

I rarely change the jib and leave a 135% in place most of the time (I have a 110 from years past held in reserve) so the untying disadvantage of (b) isn't an issue. Has anyone done (c) and if so are there disadvantages of dyneema if out in the sun all the time? There also seems to be the variant of having the 2 x 50ft made with end splices and attach these via a soft shackle. So would like to hear about alternates if you have deviated from the old school 2x sheets and bowline and can advise on what you did and if you like it,.
KenKrawford

Post by KenKrawford »

The main reason I like 2 fifty foot sheets is the ability to reverse them "end for end" if wear starts to develop where repeated contact with the winch drum occurs. Regarding the furling line, the only negative to the larger diameter line is cost. I'd expect that ease of handling the larger line would more than offset the cost difference.
Ken Krawford
Message Board Moderator
C350 # 351
Lake Lanier, GA
cuthbert

Post by cuthbert »

That 7/16" genoa diameter doesn't work with the Schaeffer 2100 furler that came with my boat. With hindsight, the Schaeffer website says 5/16"maximum, and the two small holes on the top of the furler drum cannot accept a 7/16 diameter after the end has been heat sealed and whipped, with my Mk1 eyeball it looks like 5/16" is the upper limit. Although a 7/16" line could be tied in place on a stopper knot after using one of the larger holes. Then there is the issue of getting a relatively friction free clean path through the deck hardware, this looks fairly close as is, without trying to use it under duress at sea. I didn't get a chance to see if the drum could accept the length of 7/16" line equivalent to the foot of a 135% sail, as it was a very windy day when I started the change over, but rather than risk a jam/problem at sea I will go back for another try with 5/16".

It looks like I could use this in a pinch on the traveler or inhaul or outhaul so its never a total loss buying line, but 5/16" appears to be the practical upper limit
Captain Kirk

Post by Captain Kirk »

I just replaced my 2 genoa sheets with a single length of Marlow Yachtbraid. I went with the Cow Hitch. It sure looks cleaner and greatly reduces the chance of catching the sheets (bowline knots) on the shrouds. Tested it out today in a 3 hour crossing of the strait in 15 knots on a close reach, tacking went smoothly.

The advantage of switching "end for end" when using 2 separate sheets is something to think about. But the man at the rigging shop that sold me the yachtbraid said if I ever did want to do a switch, I could easily cut the single line in half and go back to bowlines - something I hadn't thought about. Learn something everyday.
Kirk & Leah McCullough
#031 -Full Batten Main, Rocna 20
Sand Dollar
Point Roberts, WA