Something else to check

Post your technical questions or solutions about your boat's sails and rigging and here.

Moderator: KenKrawford

jdamann

Something else to check

Post by jdamann »

I was putting our sails back on last Sunday after winter lay up. While hoisting the jib I noticed the collar that joins the drum to the shaft had come off. Fortunately it landed on the deck and the four allen screws stayed attached. I can not figure out how it came loose. Maybe the vibrations of the head stay in the wind during winter without a sail wrapped around it. In any case, without the collar, the furler will not function. I suggest we all check to see the collar is tight. Anyone else have this problem?
Happy Sailing

John

"Just Add Wind" 347
SeaBreeze78

Re: Something else to check

Post by SeaBreeze78 »

This seems to be a recurring item and is on my maintenance schedule. Just checked my sons 38’C&C. One of the two largest screws was backed out half way. I just unscrewed it by finger tip, bought the proper sized T-40 bit and tighten it back down.
wolfe10

Post by wolfe10 »

Are you using Locktite blue or purple on the fasteners to reduce loosening from vibration?
Brett Wolfe
C350 #180
"Vindaloo"
Ft Myers FL
SeaBreeze78

Post by SeaBreeze78 »

We had a Tropical Depression hit the Florida Keys in November. It was not supposed to be very bad. I got lazy and forgot my number one rule on Hurricanes. Hurricanes and Tropical Depressions can not read, and therefore they do not know what they are supposed to do and where they are supposed to go.

I did not remove my $2,600 jib. How do I know that it is a $2,600 jib? Cause I had to have a new one made. I did do a good job of tying my boat off of the dock and removing all canvas. The jib came loose above where I tied the jib sheets. I had secured the roller furler to each side of the bow pulpit. It never moved. But the jib opened up and flogged for 40 hours. When the winds finally died down. I was able to secure the jib, then remove the jib. The SCHAEFER 2100 roller furler had come apart. I happened to find a large short screw sitting on deck. It was the the only screw that I could find that connected the two parts of the roller drum. I bought more screws plus some extras.

To answer your question, I used Blue Loktight to secure the screws in the drum. Yes, the constant vibration caused by the forestay bouncing back and forth will loosen the screws holding the roller furler together.

Check these screws frequently.

Dana Vihlen
Sea Breeze
2003 hull #78