ANCHORS

The sailor's version of gathering around the water cooler. Talk about anything your heart desires on this forum.

Moderator: KenKrawford

calgon

ANCHORS

Post by calgon »

Any suggestions on anchor size and chain? We hope to head to Mexico and beyond this winter and have been using a 25lb. delta with 30 feet of chain and 200 feet of line for local waters, generally no more than 10 feet deepith good shelter.
LONGHAWK

anchor

Post by LONGHAWK »

I am fond of the Bruce amchor. I use it as my primary with 120 feet of 5/16 HT chain. I keep an additional 200 feet of line ready to shackle to it if necessary for a real deep or testy sitiuation.
Triumph

anchor and chain

Post by Triumph »

my opinion, you're a little light on one or the other. I'd upgrade one of them. I am a believer in chain setting the anchor and keeping it from breaking out. If it were me, I'd keep the anchor, and increase the chain length by 30 feet. The benefit is a real good nights sleep, which is worth every penny you'll spend.
Armin

Post by Armin »

Because I do not wish to be limited by lack of ground tackle, my primary is a 35 lbs. Delta and 200 feet of HT 5/16 chain. Additionally, I carry 250 feet of line and a two additional anchors. The 200 feet of chain and 35 lbs. Delta help to keep the stern an inch or so above the water with full fuel, water, dink and air conditioning.

Good sailing to all

Armin