Weaver Marine dinghy davits

Have you added something to your boat? Got pictures of a project? Post them here at our catch-all forum for the things we do to make our boats better.

Moderator: KenKrawford

SeaBreeze

Weaver Marine dinghy davits

Post by SeaBreeze »

I have been planning to add davits so my Catalina 350 can carry my inflatable dink on the stern. Looked at Kato and other brands of same style. Yesterday I found a web site for Weaver Marine Products and a davit called "snap davits for inflatable dinghies for swimboard mount". Google Weaver Marine if you are not familiar with this style of davit. I would like to know if anyone has used or might know of anyone who has used this style of davit on a sailboat. I see some advantages and disadvantages to this style vs the more common Kato style so having an opportunity to talk to smeone with 'hands on ' experience with the Weaver style would be most helpful.
Best regards
Rick
S/V Sea Breeze
Rick Parish
Sea Breeze
MorningStar

Re: Weaver Marine dinghy davits

Post by MorningStar »

I installed Garhauer davits to carry a rib dink. Will support the outboard as well. Check out their web page and on line. Really happy with them and get a lot of interest and complements.
Barry Dupuy
s/v Morning Star #35
SeaBreeze

Post by SeaBreeze »

Barry
I am aware of Garhauer which is similar to Kato and other manufacturers in a design which is a crane-like approach. The Weaver design i mentioned is a hinge design. I think Waver would put less stress on the fiberglass around the mounting base area but perhaps more stress on the dink tube that is attached to the hinge. Also possibly stress the seam where the tube and floor of the RIB join. This is the trade off I am trying to learn about. The Weaver design allows for shorter over all length of the dink and sailboat combo by a couple of feet. Labor involved in initial installation of the Weaver design is less. I don't have a good comparison of labor involved to launch and store the dink. I do wonder how difficult it mght be to attached the two parts of the hinge if there is any significant wave action. These are some of the questions I am trying to answer.
Best regards
Rick
Rick Parish
Sea Breeze
yodagwb

Post by yodagwb »

Just recently put a set on my 350. Seems great so far. Easy enough to attach and deploy. Stands off far enough to clear the motor and the grill. If you are in Florida you will most likely have to bring your dingy into and air conditioned space to glue on the pads, as the glue hates humidity.
SeaBreeze

Post by SeaBreeze »

Thank you for your reply. The part you mount to the boat is called a davit head. Did you mount them to the transom (vertical surface) or the horizontal surface of the swim platform that you stand on? Also, did you use the standard davit heads or the ones they call extended mount? Thank you for the heads up about the glue. I would love to see photos if you have any to share. We keep out 350 in Fernandina Bch, FL which is on the east coast at the FL/GA border. We lived 25 years in Tampa and still have many friends along the SW FL coast. Fond memories of cruising there. We are thinking of sailing Sea Breeze back there early next year for a spring cruise. I have family in PG. If we follow through on our plans we would enjoy meeting you. My email address for photos is...... rick.parish@hotmail.com
Best regards
Rick
Rick Parish
Sea Breeze
yodagwb

Post by yodagwb »

Rick

Just finished a cruise with the newly installed Weaver davits. Every thing was great except for one small problem. We have a 10" dingy and I should of mounted the stern dingy davit higher. The problem is that when the boat heals the end of the dingy tube starts to hit the water. The other tac is fine due to the upward curve of the dingy bow. I need of do some calculations, for every inch I raise the stern dingy davit the end of dingy tube moves up approx. 2". Other than that they were great. No you do not need stand offs.