Air in Fuel Line?

You guessed it. Post your technical questions or solutions about your boat's engine and transmission here.

Moderator: KenKrawford

zman18

Air in Fuel Line?

Post by zman18 »

I just changes the primary fuel filter and after starting the engine it ran for about 30 seconds and then quit. Could air have gotten n the line and if so what is the best way to bleed it out? I have the M35 engine.
Thanks
John
Compass Rose
John Zoda
Compass Rose
Hull# 484
wolfe10

Re: Air in Fuel Line?

Post by wolfe10 »

There is a bleed screw on the "on engine" fuel filter.

Open it just a little while using the electric fuel pump. To use it, just disconnect the positive lead to the electric pump and place it on the large hot lug of the nearby relay or actually any source of 12 VDC positive. When fuel with no bubbles comes out of the bleed screw port, you are done.

That is how I do it at every fuel filter change.

Brett
Brett Wolfe
C350 #180
"Vindaloo"
Ft Myers FL
JohnNorton

Post by JohnNorton »

John: There is a fuel bleed valve located on the starboard side on the MB35 engine near the thermostat housing (just below it as I recall). It is a petcock valve, easy to see. Open this slightly and try starting your engine. Cover it with a rag as when fuel comes out it is under pressure and will shoot quite a ways. And you may want to close the raw water intake as you may be cranking the engine longer than normal (too long of cranking may get water backing into the engine- NOT GOOD!). Once you shut the valve shut down the enging, open raw water intake, re-start to confirm problem solved.- John
zman18

Post by zman18 »

Thank you both for the information. I will give it a try tomorrow.
John
John Zoda
Compass Rose
Hull# 484
wolfe10

Post by wolfe10 »

This from Universal's website:

http://www.marinedieseldirect.com/unive ... ystem.html

Start with the way I suggested in my post above. If all you did is change the filter but did not get air all the way to the injection pump, that is all you need to do.

Absolutely, if air all the way to the injection pump, you will need to bleed the air out there as well. Then make "note to self" to just use the electric pump in the future-- a LOT easier and a LOT less messy!
Brett Wolfe
C350 #180
"Vindaloo"
Ft Myers FL