Turn on Matrix DC Battery Meter

Post your technical questions or solutions about your boat's electrical systems or electronics here.

Moderator: KenKrawford

MikeDH

Turn on Matrix DC Battery Meter

Post by MikeDH »

I recently purchased a 2008 Catalina 350 MKII. My first boat and I'm really enjoying it. But I can't figure out how to get the DC battery meter to turn on. The owner's manual says the intro screen will stay on for five seconds after power is supplied to the meter, then the readings will be available. This is probably a newbie question, but how do I get power to the meter? Any advice is greatly appreciated.
KenKrawford

Re: Turn on Matrix DC Battery Meter

Post by KenKrawford »

Mike, congratulations on the new boat and welcome.
I'm not familiar with your monitor but I did find this info - http://webserver.flak.no/vbilder/10128.pdf The schematic on pg 6 shows an isolator switch. Perhaps the previous owner used a breaker for this function. Turn on all your breakers and see if the unit powers up. If that doesn't work, get in touch with BEP Marine and see if they can help.
Ken Krawford
Message Board Moderator
C350 # 351
Lake Lanier, GA
MikeDH

Post by MikeDH »

Thanks Ken. So the monitor should always be on assuming the previous owner didn't connect it to a breaker?
KenKrawford

Post by KenKrawford »

It appears that the unit is wired directly to the batteries being monitored. It would be strange to have an "always on" instrument, but unless there is a separate switch (isolator switch shown in schematic) or a breaker is being used, I don't see any other way to power on/off the unit. Note also that there are 1 amp fuses on the positive lead between the monitor and each battery. Be sure to check those as well.
Ken Krawford
Message Board Moderator
C350 # 351
Lake Lanier, GA
MikeDH

Post by MikeDH »

Update - It turns out the wire connector somehow was inserted incorrectly into the socket in the back of the monitor. Once inserted correctly, it is now working again. Ken- Thanks again for your suggestions.