Installing a rope clutch

Post your technical questions or solutions about your boat's sails and rigging and here.

Moderator: KenKrawford

Steve A

Installing a rope clutch

Post by Steve A »

I want to replace a clamcleat for the mainsheet with a rope clutch. How do I attach it to the deck? There are a few ropeclutches foreward of the winch on the deck next to the compainionway hatch. I opened the access panel under the winch to see if the clutches (and clamcleat) are bolted but don't see any plates or nuts.

The boat is new to me and I have not done a procedure like this before. Wondering if I should have the yard do it or if I can manage it myself.

Steve A.
Jester
Steve Abdow
S/V Jester, Hull 160
S. Dartmouth, MA
russp

Re: Installing a rope clutch

Post by russp »

Hi Steve,

Look for a recent reply on same topic. I think consensus was that there is a wooden plate built into the deck under the pad. So it needs to be drilled and tapped precisely to hold a metal screw and not through bolted.

Pretty sure that was what was decided, but check.
Russ Peel
Avalon #150
lazy dog

Post by lazy dog »

We did the same thing on our boat several years ago. It works much more reliably. There is an aluminum plate imbeded in the fiberglass below the line clutches. You'll need to drill holes to accomodate the new line clutch and tap threads into the aluminum plate. I did not have any taps so I hired a rigger to do that part. It's a big improvement.
nedenborough

Post by nedenborough »

It is an easy job. I wrote a technical article with pictures showing how to do this. It was published in the Fall 2015 issue of "Mainsheet".

The article is republished in the Members section of catalina350.com. If you are a new owner and not yet a member we invite you to join. (By the way, new members receive the coveted C350 hat.)