Alternator pulley

Post your technical questions or solutions about your boat's electrical systems or electronics here.

Moderator: KenKrawford

Dave Granata

Alternator pulley

Post by Dave Granata »

I'm am going to do an electric upgrade this winter and I allready got a 125 amp alternator from Jackrabbit. When I read the balmar instructions, they spoke of needing a 1/2" belt for this alternator and they also made it clear not the use a 3/8" belt for it. Well, the belt on my M35B is 3/8". I contacted westerbeake and they said that they don't make a 1/2" pulley for the crankshaft and water pump that I could buy. I know from this website that several of you all have done this upgrade. How did you all adress the belt issue? I was thinking of just putting the new alternator on and seeing how it goes, but I am really trying to solve some problems and not create new ones. Help!
Dave G

Post by Guest »

greetings guest. No, I do not think that this is nonsense. Of course I am not sure what exacly you are referring to. Nonsense re: the pulley? Nonsense re: using the same belt? Nonsense in trying to optimize a system?
If your comments were meant to be saracastic, the were a bit too obfuscated to work. If you truly were poking jest at the effort, then sorry you felt the need to broadcast it on a useful list.