New Sails

Post your technical questions or solutions about your boat's sails and rigging and here.

Moderator: KenKrawford

BillBerner

New Sails

Post by BillBerner »

I’m planning on buying some new sails for the upcoming season in the north east, and am looking for some input.
Both my main and genoa OUGHT to be replaced, but I am also really thinking about an Assym, Screecher, or Cruising Code 0.
BUT, the kitty an’t going to cover all 3, especially considering the sock or furler that the big sails would require.
My genoa is really pretty blown out with the texture of a bed sheet. The main not quite as bad.
So I’m thinking that maybe the most bang for my buck is just a genoa and one of the bigs

But which big headsail?

I am looking for upwind help as hi as possible in light to moderate wind, though of course I want it all, and hope to use it broad reaching as well.

Lastly I may be able to also swing sending my Main to SailCare for reconditioning. Anybody have any experience with them?

Thoughts? Opinions?

Thanks.

Bill Berner
Spartina
Hull 66 - 2003
Stamford, CT
Pgtjs

Re: New Sails

Post by Pgtjs »

Hi there,

For what it is worth, I replaced the headsail last year with one from Doyle. They cut them according to a formula and the local sail maker/agent fits them exactly as you want - I think he sews the panels depending upon what you seek. In my case I wanted a strong sail primarily for heading up in strong weather and which could be sailed whilst partially reefed. It seems to do that job perfectly. Later I added an asymmetrical spinnaker or Reacher which I have not used much but seems to be just fine.

I don't think the main is near as significant as the head sails and short of it being "blown out" and needing a recut after say 10 years I would not bother replacing it.

Hope this helps,

Geoff S. - C350 # 392 - Takeo 1V - Blaine WA
Geoff.S., Semiahmoo, WA.
knitchie

Re: New Sails

Post by knitchie »

Bill,
I purchased a 2007 350 last fall that came with an asymmetric, 135 and 155 headsails. Given where we sail, I doubt I will ever use the 155. The previous owners said they only used it several times; it is virtually new. So, I may consider selling it, if I can figure out a fair price. The used sail shops I have browsed generally do not have many sails in that size condition, so finding comps is hard. If you want to pursue this, let me know.
Ken