Alternator Upgrade

Post your technical questions or solutions about your boat's electrical systems or electronics here.

Moderator: KenKrawford

TBOT422

Alternator Upgrade

Post by TBOT422 »

For all who have installed larger alternators, did you also have to change pulleys? From what I have read, the standard 3/8" on the existing system can handle loads up to around 80-amp. A 100-amp alternator would require a 1/2" belt, and I'm not sure the standard pulleys can accept the wider belt. Over 100-amp would need dual Vee pulleys or a serpentine pulley. Has anyone used a 1/2" belt in the existing pulleys? For those that have changed pulleys, what does it cost and how difficult was it? My thinking is that if I have to change pulleys to run the 1/2" belt for a 100-amp alternator, I might as well be looking at a 120-amp alternator.

Thanks
Gary & Janet
The Best of Times (Hull #422)
leigh weiss

Re: Alternator Upgrade

Post by leigh weiss »

Gary & Janet,
I installed a 120 Amp alternator with an ARS 5 reg.
To drive this I did have to switch to a serpentine belt system.
I found that Bata Marine uses the same basic Kubota engine and has a serpentine drive belt option. I ordered the conversion kit from them 2 years ago @ about $300. The kit was a bolt-on conversion and I changed the alternator pulley to a smaller diameter than they supplied. (about $8). It has worked great. I just returned to Georgetown Md.from a winter South. No belt dust and much quieter operation. (250 engine hours) .
If you want to see the install I can send pix.
Complete battery recharge time is now under 4 hours (2x 4D AGM) house bank.
Leigh and Donna Weiss
Brisa #155
Georgetown, MD. USA
Carolina.Mind

Re: Alternator Upgrade

Post by Carolina.Mind »

We have the Universal engine and for simplicity we purchased the Balmar 80 amp alternator. It allowed use of the original V belt and charges our batteries quickly. However, the belt does tend to dust and wear quickly.

We also installed two solar panels and they generally take care of all our charging needs. This arrangement worked well for 3k miles of travel this year.

David Johnson, 377
Carolina Mind