Port gaskets

Post your technical questions or solutions about your boat's plumbing here.

Moderator: KenKrawford

Flagmanmike

Port gaskets

Post by Flagmanmike »

I just purchased a 2005 Catalina 350, and noticed that one of the port gaskets was leaking. I removed some debris but it still caused a small drip. All 5 port gaskets seem "dried out" and need replacing. Looking for recommendations for replacement. Can we buy a roll of gasket material and make them ourselves? Or is it better to just buy the gasket? Where to buy?
Thanks, Mike Cronin, hull 314, FlagShip
Tim OSullivan

Re: Port gaskets

Post by Tim OSullivan »

Mike, I resolved my port leaks by sealing the outer lower frame gap with clear Silicone. Three of the frames had a gap of approximately 3/32. I had initially thought the problem was the seal so I did a little research and Go2marine found Lemar P/N 478107 is a good replacement for the portlight seals. However, with the Silicone fix I didn't need them.

Tim, hull 322
Timothy J O"Sullivan
Seaquel
hull # 322
Flagmanmike

Post by Flagmanmike »

Tim, thanks for the advice of your experience. I have not bought the gaskets yet, and may not have to.

I examined the outside of the port light frames and found no gap, very tight. Next, I gently pulled on the gasket of the leaking port light and the gasket came out very easily. i could not put it back in its seat, so I cleaned out the track of the old silicon adhesive and the gasket seated perfectly. Next I will reseal/reset the gasket and see if it leaks.

Thanks again,
Mike, Hull 314
jking

Post by jking »

Hi,
I ordered Lewmar "New Std" 7RE from Catalina Direct and this supposed replacement seal did not fit. It was the correct size to go around the perimeter of the window, but the seal was about twice the diameter of the original and the window would not close so I had to return the seal. I still have a leaking window.

I ordered a roll of Lifesafe Butyl Caulking Tape from Defender $17.99 to redo the seal between the metal frame of the window and the hull of the boat. I found the original caulking from Catalina was not done properly and had some gaps where it was leaking.
Jan #303
Last edited by jking on Thu May 21, 2015 11:13 am, edited 2 times in total.
jking

Post by jking »

Hi,
I had a leak in my Lewmar port above the stove. I ordered replacement seal from Catalina Direct part number Z2944 for the 7RE port. It was too large and I could not shut the hatch as the seal blocked the latches. Returned this part. It took about a year to get what looks like the correct part. So after many phone calls and emails it looks like the correct part is LEWMAR 361867995, New Mk1 Seal 5 meters. Its one long piece of seal, but looks like the right type.
Jan #303
Windseeker

Post by Windseeker »

Please let us know. It's a real nail biter for me. I have experienced the same problem.
s/v: Wind Seeker
Hull #75
Chester River - Chesapeake Bay
Flagmanmike

Post by Flagmanmike »

Jan #303, can you tell me where you bought the LEWMAR 361867995.
jking

Post by jking »

The gasket I got came from Lewmar USA directly. Lewmar, 351 New Whitfield Street, Guilford, CT 06437 phone 203 458-6200.
Jan #303
Flagmanmike

Post by Flagmanmike »

The port light repair has be successfully completed> FlagShip has been through several severe rain storms and no leaks. A few notes to share on the project.

I purchased the gasket in Sept 2015 from Defender. Lewmar would not sell direct. The long length to make your own was not available. I purchased Part No 361010999 NEW ST 7RE SEAL KIT SPARE, I paid 47.99 with shipping.

The hardest part was getting the old sealant from the bottom groove in the inside frame. I made a tool that closely matched the online of the and after several applications of sealant remover was able to clean the bottom groove. I found it best to remove both the inside and outside frame halves so that I was able to work on a horizontal furnace. This required resealing the outside frame half to the deck.

It was also difficult to install the new gasket. This is also easier on a firm horizontal surface. I had to push very hard with a thin screwdriver and pushed until I heard a snap when the foot of the gasket snapped into the bottom groove.

One reassembly of the frame halves I noticed that one of the stainless screws holding the halves together was longer that the other. It bottomed out on the outside frame and would not allow the frames to seat again the deck. I replaced it with the proper size. This seems to have been a manufacturing defect. I'm wondering if this added to any leakage.

I used a thin wipe of silicon on the gasket surface allowing the window to slide upon closing. It was initially very tight. It has taken some set and is easier now.

Thanks for all the advise last year. I enjoy the exchange of information.

Mike Cronin
FlagShip, hull 314