Sad day with mixed emotions-sold our C350

The sailor's version of gathering around the water cooler. Talk about anything your heart desires on this forum.

Moderator: KenKrawford

johnthejetpilot

Sad day with mixed emotions-sold our C350

Post by johnthejetpilot »

It is with mixed emotions that we will be parting with one of the finest boats I have had the pleasure of sailing in 50yrs- (C350 #212) out of Kenosha. I am certain the new owners will enjoy her as much as we have. We have spent 7 amazing seasons cruising and racing the Great Lakes (mostly Lake Michigan). Ave Maria has taken care of us and shown us the joy to be experienced in sailing- be it on a moonlit night over lake Michigan with no land in sight or on a fierce tacking battle up the East side of Door County in the 189nm Hook Race (solo) or taking on a Northerly in the Doublehandler reefed to 1/3 on both sails in 45+kts of breeze, or a gentle reach down the Michigan side to St. Joseph before crossing to Chicago. Through it all this boat has been rock solid and never let us down even once. The only reason to move the C385 is that the Admiral wants a bit more room and speed for longer crossings and passages in lighter air and likes the way the C385 rides in rolling 2+ waves. She is also fond of the icebox with the freezer that can be converted to run as a fridge. I am looking forward to being able to roll out all sails from cockpit (including A-Sym) and hopefully being more competitive in some long distance solo races on Lake Mi.. perhaps the solo Mac one day. We also both are quite fond of the ability to use electrical aboard anytime with a 2000W inverter on the new boat that is charged by solar on the Bimini. We will be embarkng on a 6 week journey from Vermilion OH to Kenosha from @ mid-may-June 1. The only rule for the Admiral and I- "No expectations!" We are treating this as our test for semi-liveaboard as we approach retirement. If wx cooperates, we sail. If not, we enjoy port or hanging on a hook. I can't wait. Hopefully arrving in time to do the Quens Cup race across Lake Mi on June 28.

Although we have sold our boat I hope to remain a member of this group and occasisonally pop by. I am so very grateful for the amazing support and encouragment we have found on the board. If you have any tips for a cruise from Sandusky area to Kenosha, please feel free to let me know. We are trying to keep it to @ 20-35nm/day and figure we will average around 6kts. I will try and post our tentative stops here before we go. Some of the places we are scouting out/considering- LAKE ERIE: Sandusky Bay, South Bass Island, Put-in-Bay, Grosse Isle (south end), Detroit (Safe Harbor) or GrayHaven, Port Huron. LAKE HURON: Lexington State Harbor, Port Sanilac, Harbor Beach, Port Austin, Harrisville harbor, Alpena, Presque Isle, Hammond Bay, Duncan Bay or cheboygan, Mackinac Island, St. Ignace. LAKE MICHIGAN- Beaver Island, Charlevoix, Northport (TVC Bay), Traverse City, Northport, Leland, South Manitou, Frankfort, Manistee or cross to Door County/Baileys Harbor/Sturgeon Bay, Cruise around GRB and Door Co, then Sturgeon Bay to Kewaunee, Manitowac, Sheboygan, Port Washington, Milwaukee, Kenosha

Lastly, If anyone has any experience with the newer Hempel Silic One bottom paint (https://www.hempelyacht.com/en-us/silic-one), I'd be grateful or any input or thoughts.

Again, cannot adequately express my gratitude to all the fellow C350 sailors for your wisdom and expertise and advice over the years.

John McFadden
Ave Maria
Hull 212
Kenosha, WI
jtptdallas

Re: Sad day with mixed emotions-sold our C350

Post by jtptdallas »

Smooth sailing skipper! We sail our C350 (#417 Raise MeUp) in Mid coast Maine now, after 15 years on Lake Texoma.Like Ave Maria, she has never let us down of her own accord! Since you are moving to a C385, I for one vote for allowing you to remain "in the family!"

Jeff Thurston
Dallas, Tx and Brooksville, Me.
Hull # 417
Olivia Mae

Re: Sad day with mixed emotions-sold our C350

Post by Olivia Mae »

I'm familiar with a lot of your trip as we had our boat in Erie for the last several years but springs summers on lakes Huron and Michigan.

Concerning Put In Bay, if you've never been, I guess you should. Pick up a mooring, don't plan on anchoring, and the docks often are an accident waiting to happen. If you value peace and quiet more, the state park on Middle Bass would be quieter. Middle Bass should be a stop regardless. There are various anchorages around the Islands, as well, weather depending.

If you are a member of the Great Lakes Cruising Club, there are some reciprocal privileges at participating yacht clubs that might be worth checking into. Ford Yacht Club on Grosse Isle will let you stay, but it won't be free. It's also a bit tight getting in and out of the docks they would put you on but doable with a long spring line.

We generally head from the Islands straight up to Detroit, though. It's a long day but there are no real anchorages in the river. We did anchor one time, but to make a long story short, it involved a weed bed, thunderstorms, 60 mph winds, and a vow never to do that again .

Pelee Island is another good island stop, though you will have to check into Canada there.

In Detroit, we usually use Miliken marina. If you do breweries, there's a good one within a miles walk. The nearby waterfront walk and park is nice, so more to explore than around Grey Haven. It's the other state marina there and is nicer than Grey Haven. The folks that run Grey Haven are great. The marina is a bit run down, though. Crescent Yacht club might be another possibility, but it's up the lake a bit and more out of the way I wouldn't recommend anchoring in Lake St. Clair if you value sleep. Out of the 3 times we've done it, I maybe got 3 hours...total.

GLCC membership will get you a free night's stay at Desmond Marine in Port Huron. We are permanently based there now as of this year (winter storage only).

The rest of your plans sound good other than Harbor Beach. With the lower water levels and the lack of ice this winter it may not have enough depth. We got temporarily caught in the mud there approaching a slip they said had 6'. That was last spring and we skipped them on the way back down later in the summer.

So that's the extent of my memory so far. Have fun on the new boat!
Scott and Linda

Olivia Mae
C350 Hull #53
Erie, Pa.