boom to mast connection

Post your technical questions or solutions about your boat's sails and rigging and here.

Moderator: KenKrawford

JohnNorton

boom to mast connection

Post by JohnNorton »

The boom / mast connection has a horizontal pin. I was "just checking" the other day and found the pin was about to fall out ! The keeper ring had sheered allowing the pin to work it's way out. This was a disaster in the making for sure, something I'm very glad I saw. have you looked at yours lately ? John
Murphysox

Re: boom to mast connection

Post by Murphysox »

When I purchased my 350 a year ago, the surveyor noticed the same thing on mine. Glad he caught it because it's easy to miss and would have resulted in big trouble while out on a sail.
SeaBreeze78

Post by SeaBreeze78 »

I was warned to check this. Mine was OK. But we noticed that the nylon washers on the large vertical pin was missing. Replaced it with a washer that I bought at the local hardware store. Changing the tension on the Boom vang, topping lift, and mainsheet allows you to remove the vertical pin. The boom vang tension can change this from a “man and small boy job” to “three husky guys and a lot of swearing job”.
Below is a photo showing the horizontal pin with a cotter key sticking out the top, and the washer below the vertical pin.
Attachments
087AF06C-6BAA-4D4A-B30B-CFA3F81D9AE1.jpeg
087AF06C-6BAA-4D4A-B30B-CFA3F81D9AE1.jpeg (72.38 KiB) Viewed 1393 times
eTrial

Post by eTrial »

I too experienced the horizontal pin trying to escape during our trip from Santa Barbara to Nuevo Vallarta. We found the remanent of a cotter key on deck and assumed that it was from the standing rigging replacement. 1st mistake!
We made frequent checks and had to occasionally tap the pin back into place with a plastic mallet.
I am not fond of this design. I found it impossible to reinsert the cotter key once the pin had moved. I found a plastic spacer on deck as well which I would like to replace. Trouble is I left it behind by mistake.
I am inclined to machine another 12mm pin with holes for cotter keys at both ends so it can easily be inspected/replaced.
How have others handled this?
eTrial

Post by eTrial »

Sorry for answering my own post. After a long, very helpful discussion with Lowel at Catalina direct, there appears to be a replacement "mast toggle" which is a investment SS casting instead of the Al casting which I have on my boat. The PN is Z4010 and, brace yourself, is only $138. The PN system does not explicitly say this is for the C350 but the measurements I took indicate this is a go.
I have ordered the part and will attempt to install in the new year when we return to our boat. I will update the board what it took to install.
George