Anyone With A Dutchman System ?

Post your technical questions or solutions about your boat's sails and rigging and here.

Moderator: KenKrawford

KenKrawford

Anyone With A Dutchman System ?

Post by KenKrawford »

My non-furling main came with a Dutchman sail flaking system. I'm replacing some of my running rigging and am considering going from the Dutchman continuous loop system to a single line. Prior to putting my sail cover on, I usually release the topping lift and pull the Dutchman control lines down along with the topping lift halyard so they will fit under the sail cover.
Has anyone done this and if so, how has it worked out? Any other possibilities I've not considered?
Ken Krawford
Message Board Moderator
C350 # 351
Lake Lanier, GA
Wisail

Re: Anyone With A Dutchman System ?

Post by Wisail »

Ken
I replaced the continuous with single.
It is nicer to work with as adjusting the continuous is hard to reach at boom end.
It does require zippers or hook and loop on sail cover where the nylon comes down, or relying on the rigid boom vang to replace the topping lift. I think it best to have the topping lift in place.
If you have a looose footed main the nylon pockets do seem to pull on foot unless adjusted very well.
Catalina factory placement of Dutchman lines is not ideal. Consider installing third line or moving aft one forward a bit.
Overall I like single line a bit more.
KenKrawford

Post by KenKrawford »

Thanks for the feedback on the Dutchman. Since the topping lift line is larger in diameter than the continuous topping lift loop, is there any problem securing the 2 clamps to the topping lift?
Ken Krawford
Message Board Moderator
C350 # 351
Lake Lanier, GA
Wisail

Post by Wisail »

Not sure I understand your question. The Dutchman has its own line that attaches to the topping lift that has a stop “balls” and sliders that the monofilament attaches to. The topping lift remains unchanged just not all the way out.
KenKrawford

Post by KenKrawford »

There are 2 types of Dutchman systems. I have the System B where there is a continuous loop of line attached to the end of the topping lift. I was considering adapting it to be like a System A halyard style system eliminating the continuous loop where the control lines attach and instead have those lines attach directly to the topping lift.
Dutchman.jpg
Dutchman.jpg (28.91 KiB) Viewed 531 times
Wisail wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 11:45 pm Not sure I understand your question. The Dutchman has its own line that attaches to the topping lift that has a stop “balls” and sliders that the monofilament attaches to. The topping lift remains unchanged just not all the way out.
Ken Krawford
Message Board Moderator
C350 # 351
Lake Lanier, GA
Wisail

Post by Wisail »

Ken
I also went with the single line system. I guess you could install the stationary ball and monofilament slider on halyard but the slider has a slot for 1/4 inch line and topping lift is 1/2” (or so).
They may have a larger slider that works on larger topping lift diameter.
I personally wouldn’t want to install those on the topping lift as I like having that line there as redundancy for main halyard or safety line for bosun work. You would need to remove balls (and sliders) for such applications.
I think the 1/4 line on the Dutchman is plenty strong for the boom in most any situations. I have tested it with body weigh in case the MOB block and tackle I have on standby should be needed with no time to swap to the main halyard.
I have said I need to place at lease one eye on the end of the Dutchman line to clean up the knots and short leftover loop. This could be the year for that!
Once single line is set it is easier and less fuss that the double line. Occasionally if I am using a lot of vang or really bagging the main I need to trip the topping lift to slacken the Dutchman. I have a red and green whipping on the line at the clutch to mark positions. Remember to reset before dropping main for it to work properly. Instead of a block aloft (and at boom end) I only have a shackle at each end. I have considered staying with knot and doing away with shackles altogether.
System does require tweaking to get it set up properly at the beginning of season if you don’t leave it installed when flaking at the end of the season. (Another reason to not use topping lift) but I alway seem to take it off before flaking.
Olivia Mae

Post by Olivia Mae »

We have the "type A" system, where the 2 monofilament lines attach directly to the topping lift, so not the continuous line setup. I always slack the topping lift off when sailing. When I put the cover on, I move the main halyard back to the end of the boom and use that as a topping lift and slack off the topping lift so the monofilament lines don't hang the cover up (don't have zippers on mine for the lines). The added bonus of doing it that way is it keeps the main halyard from slapping the mast without resorting to creative bungeeing that often doesn't work.
Scott and Linda

Olivia Mae
C350 Hull #53
Erie, Pa.
KenKrawford

Post by KenKrawford »

That's what I had in mind. I'll have to examine the attachments points where the monofilament connects to the topping lift and see if it could be drilled out to accommodate the larger diameter topping lift. Great idea using the main halyard as a temporary topping lift. The other benefit of this arrangement is that the monofilament is now protected by the mainsail cover when at the dock.
Olivia Mae wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 8:28 am We have the "type A" system, where the 2 monofilament lines attach directly to the topping lift, so not the continuous line setup. I always slack the topping lift off when sailing. When I put the cover on, I move the main halyard back to the end of the boom and use that as a topping lift and slack off the topping lift so the monofilament lines don't hang the cover up (don't have zippers on mine for the lines). The added bonus of doing it that way is it keeps the main halyard from slapping the mast without resorting to creative bungeeing that often doesn't work.
Ken Krawford
Message Board Moderator
C350 # 351
Lake Lanier, GA