Head Water Injection

Post your technical questions or solutions about your boat's head here.

Moderator: KenKrawford

yodagwb

Head Water Injection

Post by yodagwb »

Has any one else had to deal with this problem yet? When you push down on the pedal the bowl is evacuated properly. When you lift up on the pedal (evacuate and introduce water) the bowl will evacuate but no water is introduced. The water supply is OK, value open, not clogged. The impeller, which is not pinned to the shaft and seems to operate via some sort of slippage in one direction and engagement in the other direction, seems to not be engaging. Wilcox Crittenden has been bought and I have yet to find anyone at the new company who is familiar with this unit, Newport 1600. They said they will try to e-mail some of the old Wilcox Crittenden people who made the company switch.
KenKrawford

Post by KenKrawford »

I don't have the 1600 model (not sure what my model # is). Mine uses a push switch on the front of the vanity but it suffers from the same issue. I've gotten to the point that I use water from the shower to fill the bowl, even though we sail on fresh water. I called Wilcox Crittenden last year about this issue but no one could suggest much to help.
Ken Krawford
Message Board Moderator
C350 # 351
Lake Lanier, GA
Horst Lechler

No flushing water

Post by Horst Lechler »

I started having the same problem. The pump evacuates the bowl but in the "up" position no outside water is pumped in. I am using the shower right now but I will research this problem further. Has anyone fixed this? :twisted:
Perry West

No flushing water

Post by Perry West »

I've had the same problem several times, and I believe the issue is a raw water impeller failure (part # 17 in the Wilcoxcrittenden head diagram). The impeller is attached to the shaft via some sort of 'friction' connection. When the foot pedal is depressed, the impeller does not turn, so no water is pumped. However, when the pedal is raised, the shaft rotates in the opposite direction, the impeller grips the shaft, thus pumping water through the system. I got this info from the infamous 'Jock' at Wilcoxcrittenden several years ago. (You evidently need top secret security to speak to him). If you try this, be sure to note the info on the impeller itself for the correct position on the shaft it should be installed (I have installed it backwards).
dstrecker

Head fails to fill

Post by dstrecker »

I am having the same problem. The motor runs but the head doesn't fill. has anyone solved this issue? There was one response I read with photos showing a missing pin, but I am not sure this will create the problem I am having (and many others). :(
RCMURPHY

Post by RCMURPHY »

Ditto for me. The head worked fine last year, but this year is having the same problem as described. I thought maybe it was caused by a clogged intake hose. The next step will be to take the head apart.
RC MURPHY
SEMPERFI 350 #008
randj

head intake

Post by randj »

I recently had the same problem while cruising in FL. You will need to replace the Intake Impeller. You can order one from the Thetford Corp or give West Marine the part number (#37495) and they will order it for you. A bit of a job to replace.
Perry West

Post by Perry West »

See reply posted on April 5th....
LONGHAWK

head not receiving raw water

Post by LONGHAWK »

I had the same problem. Easy fix if you have the parts. The impeller needed to be changed. Interestingly, since I had the unit apart, I went ahead and changed the main impeller also and the gaskets and lo and behold the unit is noticeably quieter. Mine had the two inch cotter pin holding the impeller as installed from the factory.
All in all, not a difficult job if you unbolt the head from the floor.

Sam