Interior STBD handrail where folded shades are stored leaking

Post your technical questions or solutions about your boat's interior here. Are you beginning to see a pattern?

Moderator: KenKrawford

tranquil

Interior STBD handrail where folded shades are stored leaking

Post by tranquil »

Greetings

We keep the table up on the starboard side, between the two “chairs”. After a night of storms awoke to find the aft half of the table a puddle of water in the corner against the wall and the aft “chair” cushions soaked - even dripped down to the floor along the forward edge of the aft “chair”. The interior handrail that holds/hides the pleated/folded drapes for the fixed windows above the rail was dripping water on the underneath /bottom side. I opened up the folded drapes and they are dry. The stbd cabin top hatch window above that side is not leaKing and dry. The wet handrail is aft of the aft rigging pole that comes thru the interior of the boat. The aft rigging pole is dry. If looking at the stbd interior handrail, its leaking below the aft two places with spaces to place your hand. That area spans the aft end of the forward fixed window and the forward edge of the aft fixed window.

Any ideas of where the source of water is coming from? Am guessing is one or both fixed windows, both of which look “normal” from the outside. And are dry on the inside. In tapping around, I don’t know what would be in the area to leak. Glad it happened while on board......but seeking counsel before attempting such a difficult fix.

Thanks
Teri Weber
Tranquil
Hull #187
Chicago
Tranquilcat42@yahoo.com
ElizabethG

Re: Interior STBD handrail where folded shades are stored leaking

Post by ElizabethG »

Hi Teri,

Probably the fixed window(s).

I have had to re-bed all but one of my fixed windows with the same type of leakage.

First, go to the outside and press against the window. Look for a flexing of the seal and hairline cracks.

Second, get a water hose and let it run on the top of the window. Go back inside, while it's running, and look for leaks. Repeat for each fixed window.

Bill
C350 #193
Atlanta (Home) / Charleston, SC (Boat)
Olivia Mae

Post by Olivia Mae »

Use Dow 795 for resealing / rebedding.
Scott and Linda

Olivia Mae
C350 Hull #53
Erie, Pa.
tranquil

Post by tranquil »

Bill - thank you very much! Perfect detail on how to determine leak.

Scott and Linda - thanks - my Dow is supposed to arrive tomorrow.

My thanks again to all!

Teri
Teri Weber
Tranquil
Hull #187
Chicago
Tranquilcat42@yahoo.com