Under Helm and Rudder Maintenance

Post your technical questions or solutions about your boat's hull, prop or rudder here.

Moderator: KenKrawford

TBOT422

Under Helm and Rudder Maintenance

Post by TBOT422 »

I've dismantled the access panel under the helm and the aft cockpit locker in order to run the wiring for a new depth transducer. While I have everything apart and have easy access, is there any other routine maintenance I should be doing in this area. I saw the article Ken posted about Edson Steering Installation and Maintenance and plan to do that. Other than just inspecting and cleaning is there anything else I should consider?

Thanks
Gary & Janet
The Best of Times (Hull #422)
scott.monroe

Re: Under Helm and Rudder Maintenance

Post by scott.monroe »

Hello Gary and Janet,

Certainly do a good inspection of the steering system, particularly checking the tension on the steering cables. Edson has a nice check list to go through (http://store-a3x5y9g98l.mybigcommerce.c ... 1580994475). Basically, to check the tension you go hard over with your steering and check the slack cable. It should be snug enough not to be able to jump the sheave, i.e. cable should be snug with less than a 1/2" deflection on the slack cable. Also good time to look for wear, and lube up the cables with SAE30 motor oil. (edson suggests that as a lubricant as they figure all boats will have that aboard).

And check the conductors running down and make sure none of them are being chafed by the steering mechanism. See this seasons Mainsheet for importance!
Take care,
Scott
Scott Monroe
C350 #409 / Southern Yankee
North Kingstown, RI
JohnNorton

Post by JohnNorton »

I removed the ceiling panel in the aft cabin to check the Edson steering; found a broken wire in one of the steering cables. Looks like one heck of a job to replace the cable. If anyone has experience with this; thoughts, advise welcome. John
Wisail

Post by Wisail »

I have seen a cable replacement kit at defender.com.
You might want to examine the rudder bushings and consider if they need replacement before doing the cable as this bigger job would entail removing the quadrant. Cables attach and wrap on the quadrant.
cuthbert

Post by cuthbert »

Rather than start a new thread I will post my question/observation here. When I was tightening the steering cables I went through the rear berth cover and then took the take up eyes locking nuts off the radial and reached in with my phone to take a picture and count the threads (as shown) so that I could be sure that both sides of the cable were equally tensioned. The reason for doing this was that there was a little too much play at the wheel , this is the second time I have adjusted this in 15 years of ownership the last time was about 4-5 years ago., it needs to be not tight! but also not with appreciable slack in it either, I tried the hard over and pull on the loose cable method but wasn't very happy with getting a reasonable result so I just tightened (only took a turn or two) until the free play at the wheel was lessened. the max deflection on either cable when centered doing it this was approx 1/2 inch, maybe it was 3/4 -1 inch or so before hand. But the often used quote is not piano wire tight.
At the same time I removed the panel at the helm so that I could add a small amount (literally a teaspoon of engine oil) that I drizzled on the chain.
steering.jpg
steering.jpg (165.81 KiB) Viewed 600 times

Now for my questiom- Here is a picture of the radial taken through the starboard cockpit. As shown the radial is limited in range by the cable assembly fixed to the transom. When speaking to edson on a unrelated issue (delrin inserts for the pedestal feet) they mentioned that the radial is recommended
to be normally secured against excess travel by both a retaining cable and a bump stop and they supply both to the manufacturer. But to me it looks like an either/or scenario (see insert drawing). My boat is 2003 #69 could anyone with a later build boat confirm that the same rudder securing method was used on all boats and that there is no bump stop?