Water pump under sink won’t pressurize

Post your technical questions or solutions about your boat's plumbing here.

Moderator: KenKrawford

tranquil

Water pump under sink won’t pressurize

Post by tranquil »

Just launched, filled my water tanks and flipped on the water pressure switch. In the past the pump pressurizes after a minute or two and then turns off, at which time I open all the through holes and run water through each sink and the showers.

Before filling the tanks, I went into the transom and closed the white round spigot at the bottom of the hot water heater that I leave open in the winter

There is no water coming into the bilge and I don’t see any leaks anywhere. Any idea what could be causing this? I cleaned out the filter on the water pump under the galley sink last spring and in freshwater. It doesn’t get dirty very fast and is still clear in color

Thanks
Teri Weber
Tranquil
Hull #187
Chicago
Tranquilcat42@yahoo.com
wolfe10

Re: Water pump under sink won’t pressurize

Post by wolfe10 »

With water in the tank and the undersink valve on the tank you filled, open a faucet and turn on the pump. Much easier for the pump to prime with a faucet open.
Brett Wolfe
C350 #180
"Vindaloo"
Ft Myers FL
tedseward

Post by tedseward »

I just went through that when dewinterizing my boat. One likely possibility is the system is filling the hot water tank. It takes 11 gallons and the pump will run quite a while until the tank is being filled. You can kind of scope out what is happening by switching the faucet from cold to hot. There will be a fair amount of spitting and splashing while the pressure is equalizing.
tranquil

Post by tranquil »

Thanks to all for replies.

After 5 hours I was able to get water to the head sink and shower, but not in the galley. Didn't try the cockpit It was late so I had to leave. I did clean the filter, which had just a few grains of debris. I did run with the faucets open but still nothing from the kitchen sink. All applicable on manifold are open. Had to leave as it was late and dark, so I will try again this weekend. Confusing as has never happened before.
Teri Weber
Tranquil
Hull #187
Chicago
Tranquilcat42@yahoo.com
wolfe10

Post by wolfe10 »

Start by removing the aerator from the sink faucet. It may be clogged.
Brett Wolfe
C350 #180
"Vindaloo"
Ft Myers FL
tranquil

Post by tranquil »

Yes despite replacing the faucet head last year, it was completely full of gunk and you are correct that was the issue! I was very surprised as I sail Lake Michigan from June to the end of September and the previous Fossett head lasted eight years before I had to clean it out

Thanks again
Teri Weber
Tranquil
Hull #187
Chicago
Tranquilcat42@yahoo.com