velair a/c size unit

Post your technical questions or solutions about your boat's air conditioning here.

Moderator: KenKrawford

stevewitt1

velair a/c size unit

Post by stevewitt1 »

I'm planning on installing reverse cycle a/c on the 2006 350 I'm in the process of purchasing.

Is 16,000 btu the recommended size for the 350?
I've been somewhat intrigued the the Velair brand and their variable speed units. the make a 4,000-16,000 btu model and then a 7,000-21,000 btu
model. Is the 4-16 model adequate? The 4=16 model is listed as a 16,000 btu and the 7-21 is listed as a 21,000 btu.
I'm as afraid of over-sizing the unit as I am under-sizing. Too large and the run time is reduced and the air isn't conditioned properly (relative humidity)

I also see specs for return air and supply air. Isn't the return air passed over the evaporator thereby becoming the supply air? Why am I confused about this?
Any help appreciated
Steve
Oconto Yacht Club on The Green Bay
Of Lake Michigan
www.ocontoyachtclub.com
KenKrawford

Re: velair a/c size unit

Post by KenKrawford »

Steve, I've got a 16,000 btu Mermaid reverse cycle system on my boat and it works quite well. Your signature doesn't indicated where you are located so that could make a bit of difference. Here in the south it gets quite steamy and my system cools the boat down fairly well. I have an vent in the aft cabin, main salon and forward cab. Another one in the head would also be a welcome addition.
Ken Krawford
Message Board Moderator
C350 # 351
Lake Lanier, GA
ragtime

Post by ragtime »

Steve,
I am in the process of installing a 16000btu unit from Marinaire. I also was intrigued with the VelAir unit but found it very difficult to get information from them. Other members of our club had installed Marinaire units and are very pleased with them.
The greatest challenge has been the routing of the water supply from the pump in the bilge area to the unit in the lazerette, Got it to the starboard rear water tank area but now have to get it to the lazerette. Anyone have insight or recommendations?
Doug Klapper
C350 2004 #175
Tuscarora Yacht Club
Wilson, NY
Lake Ontario
stevewitt1

Post by stevewitt1 »

Hey All
I'm in the process of installing my Marineaire 16,000 btu a/c unit and I need help. My boat has 30amp power plug in receptacles at both the bow (anchor locker) and stern (transom) so to be practical I had to put the second 30 amp access at both bow and stern. Great, another $75 for the receptacle and another $95 for a second breaker within 3' of each one.
Now for the question:

I have to run a 12/2 w ground to the lazarette for the power supply and the water supply from the bilge area to the lazarette. I also want to run another 12/2 or 12/3 w grounds to the galley area to put some of the load {micro, coffee maker, toaster, ice maker} to the second power supply.

I can't find a good path from behind the AC panels on the port side over to the starboard side, preferably inside the lazarette.

HELP HELP HELP

Steve
Oconto Yacht Club on The Green Bay
Of Lake Michigan
www.ocontoyachtclub.com