Rudder Shaft Bearing SAR, Really?

Post your technical questions or solutions about your boat's hull, prop or rudder here.

Moderator: KenKrawford

yodagwb

Rudder Shaft Bearing SAR, Really?

Post by yodagwb »

This one is great. Pulled the boat to replace a thru hull, sand and touch up bottom paint. Upon inspection of the rudder, it was discovered that it was flopping all over the place. Order new rudder bearing from Catalina direct to the tune of $780 which included 2 day shipping. Upon dropping the rudder, imagine my surprise when I found out that the bottom bearing sleave, the one that attaches to the exterior bottom of the boat with 5200 and screws, had no screws. Thats right, the sleave was stuck on with only 5200 and I say this because I could see where the 5200 had pushed out through the screw holes in the bearing flange when embedded. Had screws ever been installed that could of never of happened. 5200 failure occurred at the back side of the bottom bearing flange, no indication of adhesion on the flange side, causing the rudder shaft and bearing to flop all over the place. Wax not removed from flange before applying 5200?
Nice. SAR, a Some Assembly Required sticker should come on new Catalinas. The guy who installed my rudder bearing must have been the same guy who install my Rub rail, where he only installed 1/2 of the number of thru bolts as to the number of holes he drilled into the boat, causing leaks all over the place. Might have gotten away without the need to replace the bearing had the original only been installed properly.