Prop and Shaft Issue

Post your technical questions or solutions about your boat's hull, prop or rudder here.

Moderator: KenKrawford

sail2530

Prop and Shaft Issue

Post by sail2530 »

Hello
Recently thought we had a line around the prop. Got back the the slip and was able to get a diver out today to check it out. We did have a line around the prop. Diver said that he got it off but the diver said there was a gap around the shaft that would let water in. We have a dripless seal that looked fine last weekend. So trying to figure out what to do next. Thanks
KenKrawford

Re: Prop and Shaft Issue

Post by KenKrawford »

I’m not real sure how to interpret “gap around the shaft that would let water in”. Did he comment about the status of the cutlass bearing? All boats have a gap around the shaft that lets water in. What prevents that from turning into an issue is either a stuffing box or a dripless shaft seal. I don’t suppose he had any pictures?
Ken Krawford
Message Board Moderator
C350 # 351
Lake Lanier, GA
wolfe10

Post by wolfe10 »

KenKrawford wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 1:35 pm I’m not real sure how to interpret “gap around the shaft that would let water in”. Did he comment about the status of the cutlass bearing? All boats have a gap around the shaft that lets water in. What prevents that from turning into an issue is either a stuffing box or a dripless shaft seal. I don’t suppose he had any pictures?
Ya, I couldn't figure out the issue either.

But, if the monofilament line wraps around the shaft, it can melt and totally shut off water supply to the cutlass bearing. Had to replace a shaft on another boat because of this.
Brett Wolfe
C350 #180
"Vindaloo"
Ft Myers FL
KenKrawford

Post by KenKrawford »

Good point RE: monofilament. I was envisioning something considerably larger.
Ken Krawford
Message Board Moderator
C350 # 351
Lake Lanier, GA
yodagwb

Post by yodagwb »

If the shaft isn't loose when you move it from side to side, then the cutlass should be ok. The fact is that the engine is pumping water into the dripless which then goes out the cutlass.