Batteries 2022 - how to get EGC2 when Sam's is out

Post your technical questions or solutions about your boat's electrical systems or electronics here.

Moderator: KenKrawford

tranquil

Batteries 2022 - how to get EGC2 when Sam's is out

Post by tranquil »

In 2011 I bought 4 EGC2 golf cat batteries as per many suggested on this site and they worked great until now. When I checked back at Sams Club they post on the web site at $135.99. Called the 6 stores that the web site said had them in the Chicago to WI area. Discovered the stores had none to one in stock and claim are not getting more in as not made anymore. So I called Duracell who said they don't make their golf cart batteries - a company called East Penn does. Duracell referred me with a phone # because while against their rules, he knew that Sam's would not know squat about the batteries.

I called East Penn at 610 682 6361 and they were very helpful. Said the EGC2 is their most popular golf cart battery and they are still making them with no plans for retirement. The issue is COVID - their workers have not returned and/or not returned full time, so production is slow. Turns out they sell the same spec battery to automotive parts dealers under different item #'s - and here they are with $ from stores in the north Chicago suburban area:

at O'Reilly Parts the # is GC110DT @136.99

at Batteries Plus the # is SLIGC115 @ 154.99

at Napa Auto the # is 8144 @152.99

Not sure what they are priced in your neck of the woods. Customers told East Penn that if you are buying more than 2 at Napa and ask for a discount will get one.

Hope this helps someone.

Teri
Teri Weber
Tranquil
Hull #187
Chicago
Tranquilcat42@yahoo.com
ps23435

Re: Batteries 2022 - how to get EGC2 when Sam's is out

Post by ps23435 »

We also use the Duracell golf cart batteries and in the past have also gotten them at Sam's Club. After reading the last post, I did a quick check at Batteries Plus and they are also available there at about $160 minus the $22 core replacement (in the southern VA area). That may be another option is there is a Batteries Plus in the area.
Pete & Anita
Slip Away #437
Hampton, VA
wolfe10

Post by wolfe10 »

Not sure we can be of assistance in terms of what batteries are available/waiting list where you are located.

But Catalina 350's (at least the 2003) OE batteries were (the much rarer) two 4D's. So, 2 4D's or 4 6VDC golf cart batteries would both be options.
Brett Wolfe
C350 #180
"Vindaloo"
Ft Myers FL
Triumph

Post by Triumph »

Hey all. Like to save a buck? What is happening right now is that many "early adaptors" are switching their RV or boat batteries to lithium. They are putting their old batteries on Craig's List or Facebook Market place. I've seen one year old Trojan batteries go for $25. I bought 4 - 6 volt deep cycle AGM batteries that were new, never installed, for less than half price. The thing you have to watch out for is the size. We need shorter length batteries than most. Watch the height too.
It's crazy the deals I've seen. It too me a few weeks to find the right size and good quality.

Bill on TRIUMPH
wolfe10

Post by wolfe10 »

Triumph wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 10:01 am The thing you have to watch out for is the size. We need shorter length batteries than most. Watch the height too.
Bill on TRIUMPH
Bill,

Suspect your "shorter length" refers to the 12VDC which are the uncommon 4D vs the common 8D.

And "height" is that 6 VDC golf cart batteries come in various heights.

Very good advice to verify that, whether you buy new or slightly used, they need to fit!

BTW, it is very difficult to tell the actual condition of a battery-- load test is one, battery hydrometer is another (for wet cell only).

Many, many RV batteries are badly abused by sitting deeply discharged while the RV is in storage. Buyer beware!
Brett Wolfe
C350 #180
"Vindaloo"
Ft Myers FL