Thread sealant/lube

Post your technical questions or solutions about your boat's sails and rigging and here.

Moderator: KenKrawford

c350ia

Thread sealant/lube

Post by c350ia »

I am in the process of replacing the rinky dink jam cleat for the main sheet. Going to upgrade to a Spinlock identical to the other Rope clutches. When I pulled the machine screws I noticed that there is some form of grease or sealant on the threads and it certainly did a good job. Trevi is a 2008 and there was no corrosion on the machine screw and it did
Anyone know what this substance is, it clearly does not harden or form into an adhesive.
wolfe10

Re: Thread sealant/lube

Post by wolfe10 »

If you are looking for something to materially reduce corrosion between two dissimilar metals TUF-GEL is excellent. Have used it for decades for stainless steel bolts into aluminum mast.

But, it has no sealing properties/will not keep water out. You may need both a small amount of polysulfide sealant as a bedding compound and the Tuf-Gel further down on the threads themselves.
Brett Wolfe
C350 #180
"Vindaloo"
Ft Myers FL
KenKrawford

Post by KenKrawford »

Here’s a rather long, detailed “how to” that shows the best way to bed deck hardware using butyl tape - https://marinehowto.com/bed-it-tape/
Ken Krawford
Message Board Moderator
C350 # 351
Lake Lanier, GA
wolfe10

Post by wolfe10 »

KenKrawford wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 2:50 pm Here’s a rather long, detailed “how to” that shows the best way to bed deck hardware using butyl tape - https://marinehowto.com/bed-it-tape/
Yes, a good option and some interesting observations.
Brett Wolfe
C350 #180
"Vindaloo"
Ft Myers FL
c350ia

Post by c350ia »

Thanks all for the responses. Tug Gel was the name that I could not recall.
D&M

Post by D&M »

That’s Tef Gel after all the auto corrects are fixed. :D
Regards,

David
Sea Lanes #281
Cairns, Australi
a