Mainsheet Clamcleat

Post your technical questions or solutions about your boat's sails and rigging and here.

Moderator: KenKrawford

Alessandro

Mainsheet Clamcleat

Post by Alessandro »

Greetings,

My mainsheet runs thru a Clamcleat CL240 before wraping around my starboard electric winch. The Clamcleat is totally ineffective in its current configuration as the sheet keeps popping out. The sheet is about 1 inch above the top of the cleat when wrapped on the winch. To hold it I need to keep it on the winch, not helpful at all. Clamcleat advise they have wedges to assist but these don't look big enough so before I order these I thought to reach out and see what others have done. I look forward to your advice(s).
Alex Kennedy aka Alessandro
Catalina 350 Hull 424
Airlie Beach
Tropical Queensland
Australia
wolfe10

Re: Mainsheet Clamcleat

Post by wolfe10 »

If you need to raise the cam cleat for a better fair lead, mount it on STARBOARD. Pretty easy to cut and drill to size.

But, you still want it to be quickly releasable for sheeting in/out using the winch.
Last edited by wolfe10 on Tue Nov 24, 2020 10:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Brett Wolfe
C350 #180
"Vindaloo"
Ft Myers FL
russp

Post by russp »

Avalon has the same setup, I imagine is standard on all C350s. As long as I press the mainsheet into the clam cleat I have never had an issue, it is the case that you can't pass through the cleat and then to the winch, it is too low. But the winch is meant to be multipurpose so not meant purely for mainsheet.

Perhaps your mainsheet has been substituted for the original spec? and that is why is doesn't hold. Or, the teeth in the clam cleat are worn. Either way I can assure you that with the std setup, pushing the mainsheet hard into the cleat gives a firm hold and doesn't require winch backup. Once winched on there is enough play in the mainsheet to press it down into the cleat while releasing it off the winch. An upside of the winch being higher is that if you want to release the mainsheet from the cleat, only a little bit of pressure from the winch is sufficient to lift the sheet out of the cleat and free. If the cleat is higher you might have the problem of it grabbing as you try to ease the sheet off the winch.

Regards
Russ
Russ Peel
Avalon #150
Ken Rollins

Post by Ken Rollins »

I replaced the camcleat on CKARMA 393 8 years ago when it let go in a 20 knot wind and the boom knocked me overboard. I put the Sheet through a line stopper.
Mark Sutherland

Post by Mark Sutherland »

I first replaced that clam cleat on my C34 with a Spinlock rope clutch and then again on my 350 immediately after purchase. I did so because I was scared to death to be on deck while reefing and my life potentially being at the mercy of that pathetic device, as Ken Rollins can attest to. I'll never understand why Catalina spec'd that cleat on it's boats.
Mark Sutherland,
Dunrobin III
Hull #388 (2006)
Alessandro

Post by Alessandro »

Ken Rollins wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 9:52 pm I replaced the camcleat on CKARMA 393 8 years ago when it let go in a 20 knot wind and the boom knocked me overboard. I put the Sheet through a line stopper.
Thanks Ken, just to be precise what do you refer to as a line stopper?
Catalina 350 Hull 424
Airlie Beach
Tropical Queensland
Australia
Alessandro

Post by Alessandro »

Thanks Russ,
I was last in Paynesville exactly 50 years ago, I hope it hasn't changed too much! Thanks for your advice, the mainsheet may be too big so I'll review the specs to check but if ok I will likely go to a clutch. At the moment I pull on the sheet with the winch then have my hand on the sheet above the clam cleat and as I ease the winch push to line into the cleat but it pops out pretty quickly which can be dangerous if up on deck as noted before.
russp wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 9:25 pm Avalon has the same setup, I imagine is standard on all C350s. As long as I press the mainsheet into the clam cleat I have never had an issue, it is the case that you can't pass through the cleat and then to the winch, it is too low. But the winch is meant to be multipurpose so not meant purely for mainsheet.

Regards
Russ
Catalina 350 Hull 424
Airlie Beach
Tropical Queensland
Australia
Alessandro

Post by Alessandro »

Mark Sutherland wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 11:26 am I first replaced that clam cleat on my C34 with a Spinlock rope clutch and then again on my 350 immediately after purchase. I did so because I was scared to death to be on deck while reefing and my life potentially being at the mercy of that pathetic device, as Ken Rollins can attest to. I'll never understand why Catalina spec'd that cleat on it's boats.
Thanks Mark, can you please advise what was involved in fitting a clutch where the clam cleat was previously? Did the cleat have nuts or relied on self tappers?
Catalina 350 Hull 424
Airlie Beach
Tropical Queensland
Australia
Mark Sutherland

Alessandro wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 11:35 pm
Mark Sutherland wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 11:26 am I first replaced that clam cleat on my C34 with a Spinlock rope clutch and then again on my 350 immediately after purchase. I did so because I was scared to death to be on deck while reefing and my life potentially being at the mercy of that pathetic device, as Ken Rollins can attest to. I'll never understand why Catalina spec'd that cleat on it's boats.
Thanks Mark, can you please advise what was involved in fitting a clutch where the clam cleat was previously? Did the cleat have nuts or relied on self tappers?
Hi Alex, I had my yard install this clutch for me about 3 years ago. My recollection is that I spoke to Warren Pandy at Catalina, who said there was a thick plate (aluminum?) imbedded under the fiberglass area on the starboard side cabin top where the other clutches are mounted. So you can drill through the fiberglass, then drill into the plate, then thread the plate for your clutch mounting screws.
Mark Sutherland,
Dunrobin III
Hull #388 (2006)
D&M

Post by D&M »

Hi Alex,
I did this, this year when I stopped in Mackay enroute to Cairns. The guys took out the clam cleat and replaced it with a spinlock clutch that I bought from Whitworths. They took about an hour all up, including filling the holes of the stainless steel loop guide that was in front of the clam cleat. (Which tore out enroute to Mackay). They mounted the new spinlock adjacent to the other three and used one of the holes from the clam cleat, thus only having to drill one hole for the new clutch. They said it was an easy install because of the backing plate already mentioned above.
PM me and I can send photos if required.
Cheers,
Regards,

David
Sea Lanes #281
Cairns, Australi
a
nybor

Post by nybor »

Regarding message below:

I first replaced that clam cleat on my C34 with a Spinlock rope clutch and then again on my 350 immediately after purchase. I did so because I was scared to death to be on deck while reefing and my life potentially being at the mercy of that pathetic device, as Ken Rollins can attest to. I'll never understand why Catalina spec'd that cleat on it's boats.

Yeah, I have had the same issue with the main sheet cleat. It says on its side of it, its a "racing cleat". I know why it is called that. Because all of a sudden, the line pops out of it and I have to RACE to grab the line and pull in the main before it self destructs from the flapping... )&Q&Q#&

Anyway, I bought a Harken CAM cleat that I want to attach either directly in front of behind the "cleat of death" one. My question is how to attach it? Do I drill all the way thru and then have to add a backing plate and nuts for the thru bolts above the galley? I hope not, but not sure how to proceed. Thanks

dave, NYBOR 4110 (boy most of the other 350s are really old..... only 3 digits.
Mark Sutherland

Hi Dave, see my comments above (11/28/20) and D&M's commments (12/10/20).
Mark Sutherland,
Dunrobin III
Hull #388 (2006)