Genoa Halyard

Post your technical questions or solutions about your boat's sails and rigging and here.

Moderator: KenKrawford

TBOT422

Genoa Halyard

Post by TBOT422 »

Has anyone replaced their Genoa Halyard? The Owner's Manual calls for two 1/2" dia. ULS x 120 feet. I'm not at the boat, but I thought the main and genoa halyards appear to be smaller than the sheets which are also 1/2" dia.

Also why does the manual call for two Genoa halyards?

I assume the ULS stands for Ultra Low Stretch? What line did you actually use?

Should I get one with the shackle already attached? That would mean dropping the jib, cutting the old halyard and splicing the new to the old and pulling the new line up and down through the mast with the old line.

Any other comments or suggestions would be appreciated.
Gary & Janet
The Best of Times (Hull #422)
Captain Kirk

Re: Genoa Halyard

Post by Captain Kirk »

Hi Gary

I replaced all 3 halyards 3 years ago - 2 genoa and 1 main.

They call them both Genoa halyards but I use one for the spinnaker. My boat did not come with the set up to use the # 2 Genoa halyard as a spinnaker halyard so I had it rerouted to come out the side of mast just below the masthead. There was an existing slot on my mast made for this purpose. It then routes through a swivel head block I added (to the crane fitting) to keep it away from the furler.

On the new Genoa halyard I used the existing shackle. I had some help by the yard to pull the new halyards through.

I used low stretch line, but I don't recall the specs.
Kirk & Leah McCullough
#031 -Full Batten Main, Rocna 20
Sand Dollar
Point Roberts, WA
MarkElliott

Post by MarkElliott »

Don’t have to cut the end of existing halyard. Before you pull it out attach a messenger line to it of sufficient length, pulling the messenger line up the mast as you remove the old line.Attach the new line cockpit end to the messenger line and pull the new line thru the mast. For my messenger line I used parachute cord.
Mark Elliott
Mintaka #71
Noank Ct.
TBOT422

Post by TBOT422 »

Thanks Mark,
How did you attach the paracord to the halyard? Stitch it? Tape it? Tie it? I am assuming there are some small openings along the way.

Thanks
Gary & Janet
The Best of Times (Hull #422)
MarkElliott

Post by MarkElliott »

I tied a clove hitch around the larger line about 6” up then a few half hitches then wrapped down to the end with tape to help taper it.
Mark Elliott
Mintaka #71
Noank Ct.