Damper Plate

You guessed it. Post your technical questions or solutions about your boat's engine and transmission here.

Moderator: KenKrawford

Bob_A

Damper Plate

Post by Bob_A »

Just a word of thanks to all who have gone before. The many previous posts were helpful.
I attach an alternate engine lift set up. I was as surprised a 42" 2x4 will slip down each side of the engine and rest on the stingers (bit of mods)
Its more for interest than any firm recommendation. I had thought I would save my back & knees by not getting down there to crank the 6" carriage bolt / nut etc. What was I thinking? Whats another 30 minutes when you're down there for several hours.
I would echo the 3/16" allen head socket. I would have never gotten the factory installed allen screws with RED locktite off without this. Nor will you pull these up with a wrench so get the socket. The other pic is simply a suggestion to leave the exhaust hose connected to the "log" and lift that up and out of the way. Access is everything. If your trans has not been off recently, or ever, it will be a bugger. There is a spot where with a short piece of 2x4
you can pry / flex off the aft port motor mounting base plate (on the engine), this will get it going.
The finished installation result was just like many of yours ... smooth silent shifting into gear. So nice not to hear that rattle.
I got a lot of life out of the old damper plate by adjusting the idle and changing throttle speed under way to allow for as little rattle time as possible. Ours was thoroughly shot!
Attachments
aft access copy.jpg
aft access copy.jpg (220.69 KiB) Viewed 945 times
engine lift.jpeg
engine lift.jpeg (194.4 KiB) Viewed 945 times
Bob & Cherie
Cheeky Monkey - Hull 363
Vancouver, BC