nothing wrong or broken

The sailor's version of gathering around the water cooler. Talk about anything your heart desires on this forum.

Moderator: KenKrawford

jackpaley1

nothing wrong or broken

Post by jackpaley1 »

After 14 years nothing has really been wrong or broken with "NONE YET AGAIN", hull number 478.I just replaced the batteries and am planning to replace the 135% furling Genoa.
The SNAKE RIVER tank display, has never worked. I understand this is a common complaint.
After following the website I would welcome any recommendations for possible future disasters.
The boat is in Charlestown, Massachusetts and is on the "hard" six months of the year, and at a slip for six months. Perhaps the boat is only seven years old. Thanks, in advance. Jack
KenKrawford

Re: nothing wrong or broken

Post by KenKrawford »

Jack, do you know if the PSS shaft seal is original? If so, it’s well past replacement time. There’s a couple of posts in the Hull, Prop, Rudder section that deal with it.
If you’re a paid up member of the C350 Association there a whole section of maintenance items listed in the “Members Only” section that you may find helpful.
Ken Krawford
Message Board Moderator
C350 # 351
Lake Lanier, GA
wolfe10

Post by wolfe10 »

Probably need to separate Preventive Maintenance (I am a STRONG BELIEVER!) vs Break Down Maintenance.

My mantra is "fix it before the trip/before it breaks" and have less issues underway.

How many hours on the engine-- valve adjustment? boil out heat exchanger? replace raw water impeller? change coolant (certainly not good for 14 years)? change fuel filters? regrease winches? and the list goes on.

Will take a well maintained boat that has done miles, as they are generally in better shape than most of those "dock queens".

Stepping off soap box now.
Brett Wolfe
C350 #180
"Vindaloo"
Ft Myers FL
Olivia Mae

Post by Olivia Mae »

Concerning the tank monitor system, I feel your pain. One of my water tank sensors actually works well, the other not so much. Then there's the holding tank one that sort of works. Tried recalibration without much success and have resorted to knuckle taps that works ok most of the time. This year I'm going to install a single Gobius Pro sensor at about 80% of capacity. Hopefully, this will give me peace of mind that I will never have the waste out the vent thing happen again.

Nothing broken is good, but maintenance keeps it that way. How's your running rigging? As others mentioned PSS seal. Cutlass bearing? Damper plate? And all the maintenance things others mentioned above.
Scott and Linda

Olivia Mae
C350 Hull #53
Erie, Pa.
jackpaley1

Post by jackpaley1 »

I believe I am current with my dues. If not please inform me.
I have always replaced all the fluids every season along with the filters.
I also have inspected the PSS shaft seal, cutlass bearing, shaft seal, damper plate and rudder assembly. Visually they all look good. Is visual and "hand" inspection enough ? Engine runs well; burns very little oil, no black smoke and no chatter. My diesel mechanic is questioning why you mentioned "valve adjustment.
I am going to replace the Raritan Joker valve and rebuild the unit. Also going to replace the seat and cover with a slow close hinge.
Longest cruise was to Yarmouth, NS. very long and boring, would not do it again. Not sure if I qualify as a "dock queen".
wolfe10

Post by wolfe10 »

Jack,

Sounds like you are on top of maintenance. Sadly, many owners aren't!

My diesel mechanic is questioning why you mentioned "valve adjustment.

The engine is Kubota. I go by their maintenance interval for valve adjustment (800 hours):

https://www.kubotausa.com/service-suppo ... e-schedule

These are mechanically operated valves, no hydraulic lifters.
Brett Wolfe
C350 #180
"Vindaloo"
Ft Myers FL